Ms-250 club

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL880

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Who else has one and uses it?
I just got the chance to really put this thing through it's paces, (yes i thrashed the s*** outta it) and i'm quite amazed. It's only got 47cc's and it ripped through everything i ran it through, IN 22 degrees, IN snow. I love this little saw. Light, Powerful, Compaq.
Any got one?

I've got one, and love it. It was my first and only saw i have bought new. It runs good for its size and has never given any trouble. The only thrashing it has received was when i loaned it to my brother a few years ago to clear some dead pines. I won't do that again. It hasn't got much use since i purchased and ported my 260 pro but i will have to get it out on the next outing and run some fresh gas threw it. A MM really woke mine up!

You can open those mufflers nicely/cleanly,w/a flat screwdriver. Try putting a 7 pin 14'/16' picco set up on that saw.......it will eat wood with the best of them.

I know how to open the mufflers, I've had to clean them, I just have no clue how to do a muff mod on an MS 250. let alone any other saw. and i want to get it right.

I love my 025. Just take all the guts out of the muffler, and open up the outlet with a flat screwdriver. Stay with a 16" bar, and enjoy it.

Been very dependable, an used at hunting camp for firewood an clean up trails for years. But as stated above not used much sense getting the ms260.

I really wanted the easy start model but got a good deal on this one :msp_thumbup:

CIMG4814.jpg

I think they are the perfect reasonably priced saw for the wood cutter who cuts 5 cords or less a year and doesn't get into anything bigger usually than 18-24". Sure, there are better saws but not for that price. My 75 yr old Dad loves his with a 16" bar and I can't argue. He grew up cutting with boat anchor saws that cut about the same so even after a large limb mashed his he still had rebuilt for $175(!).
I had him cut with my husky 346xp with an 18" bar a while back thinking he'd be really impressed. After he cut about an hour and we took a break I asked him what he thinks of it. His reply..."kinda heavy":msp_laugh:

So I guess it beats out the holy 346xp with the older crowd too!

Count me in.

The wife brought ours home back in 04' I think it was.
She decided that she needed a saw.

I hated the thing cuz' it hated me, and refused to start.
Wife had no issues with it though.

Took a couple of years for me to warm up to it, including using the thing with my old 262 to clear 6 acres and a home site. The wife would cut when I was at work now and then, and she isn't exactly friendly towards equipment, and munched a couple of bars, half a dozen chains, dropped the 250 in the round pile with a load of rounds a time or two, never cleaned anything on it.

LOL!! One day I went looking for it and was informed "It's at the farm, I got it stuck and forgot." Poor thing was stuck in a Black cherry that set back on the bar hard, and she left it for the Coyotes for three days in the snow.
I wedged it out, and it started on the third pull. Chain was chewed up again, filter clogged with fines again.

When my saws got ripped off, the 250 and a 455 got put to hard use cutting for heat for two seasons, and the 250 got used for nipping all the pest trees in the fields.

It gets bungeed to the quad as a GP saw and gets the living hell banged out of it and bathed in mud, then rinsed off with the hose now. It's been pretty much relegated to pruning duty only, but still gets lotsa use bucking up the small stuff around the splitter.

I can't like the damn thing, but am forced to respect it.
It's worn out two bars, and survived the destruction of at least 4, only needed a new starter rope and fuel lines that Ethanol destroyed. Worn out a couple of spurs and a clutch bearing, and at least a half dozen of those gold plated air filters along the way.
It has seen no love and thrives on the abuse.

Best part is that it's just a tick off the MS260, in both weight and grunt.
The 346 will flat spank it, but the 250 IS noticeably lighter and shorter coupled.
Hunch up under a couple hundred Blueberry bushes a day for two months, and that little bit of weight difference is appreciated.

If this one ever croaks, I'll probably find another to replace it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

dingeryote:
Awesome thanks man. Love the write up.

sawbones:
These things are easy to start, And you do NOT want the easy start 250 C the thing is a peice o' junk what with that stupid little quick chain tentioner, no thanks. I love my 250 much more, this thing is a pig.

Best part is that it's just a tick off the MS260, in both weight and grunt.
The 346 will flat spank it, but the 250 IS noticeably lighter and shorter coupled.

If this one ever croaks, I'll probably find another to replace it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I ran a 346XP last weekend alongside an MM'd MS250 and an 026. I'll ask SawFun9 if it was an NE or not in a bit here, but it was a young 346. At first the 250 did the spanking, so I went and leaned out the 346 until it started to act like I though it should, went back to the wood, and 'Eh...". I don't understand what folks are so excited about in the 346xp... His 026 was stronger while buried, and my MS250 limbed just as well. Then there's the fact the stupid 346 kept wanting to roll down the hill every time I put it down, or looked at it wrong. That's just a stupid design. I wanted to like it, being a husky owner(and i love my 372xp), but I just couldn't. As for the balance nonsense I keep hearing about, I can hold all 3 saws with one hand from the rear handle. They are tiny little saws - with that husky being very cute(almost adorable). I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I guess this is what happens sometimes when you read an internet forum about something and then try something for yourself - you are bound to be let down.

I got one with a Poulan 4000 that I bought last year. While I have done nothing to it, I have tried to use it a couple of times. Hard to start, won't idle and cuts out. Less than impressed with it but maybe I should spend some time working on it. Would much rather run the $45 026.

My wife gave me my first one for Father's Day a few years ago.
I found another one at a pawn shop for $125 and it was newer than the one I already had.
Very pleased with both.

[It was] hard to start, wo[uld]n't idle, and cut out. [I was] less than impressed with it, but maybe I should [have] spen[t] some time working on it. would much rather run the $45 026.

Fixed it - repaired the verb tense in the first sentence and your lack of subject in the other sentences. ;)

Anyhow, the 346xp I tried woke up with a simple 1/4 turn of a screw. Why would you not even touch that 250 if it is acting up when it is so easy to tune a saw? It also begs the question of why one would give a review of a product they likely know isn't in tune.

Oh boy, here we go.

:deadhorse:

Heh. I only did it because of his signature:
"Improving spelling and grammar one AS member at a time."

Anywho - enough fawning over the MS250. Mine just showed me the difference between a pro saw and a 'homeowners' saw by blowing out one of it's rubber AV mounts. What a pain that is, and what a cheap design that is; the small plastic plug seems to have failed. I can only assume that was what it was since it is lost somewhere in the woods.

Speaking of beating a dead horse, my MS250 emptied it's oil on me when I flipped it on the side to stump a small maple. It seems that even though the cap felt secure, it was only secure enough to keep the bar oil in while I was cutting level. Once I tipped it on it's side and began cutting, the flippy cap came loose and spilled nearly every ounce of oil into the snow before I noticed the bar was smoking. I am usually very careful closing that oil cap, too, since it is a bit of a bother now that it's gotten a bit old. It felt solidly closed, too. I didn't bother checking if it was an actual malfunction. I put it into the truck for later cleaning since it had saw dust clinging to the cap at the time and I was in the woods during a sleet and hail episode. I then removed my 372xp from the cab, complete with it's non flippy caps which have never failed me, and never will, and finished the job.

tough little saws

I have 2 ms250's and 2 025's my first 025 I have had for 10 yrs and bought it used for 100 bucks. The 250s are just unkillable only problem out of either one was an oil plug blowout in the older one. My brother swears by his huskys but visited SC last march from North Pole Alaska and was impressed by the way it handles and power after a muffler modd. for size and power they are hard to beat.:chainsaw:

Hey, I'm with you brother. The lazy writing on the internet is bad and getting worse. I blame texting. Makes me crazy, BUT, in the spirit of getting along, I am learning to try to read through bad writing on this site and others. The good advice is worth it.

Anywho - enough fawning over the MS250. Mine just showed me the difference between a pro saw and a 'homeowners' saw by blowing out one of it's rubber AV mounts. What a pain that is, and what a cheap design that is; the small plastic plug seems to have failed. I can only assume that was what it was since it is lost somewhere in the woods.

Speaking of beating a dead horse, my MS250 emptied it's oil on me when I flipped it on the side to stump a small maple. It seems that even though the cap felt secure, it was only secure enough to keep the bar oil in while I was cutting level. Once I tipped it on it's side and began cutting, the flippy cap came loose and spilled nearly every ounce of oil into the snow before I noticed the bar was smoking. I am usually very careful closing that oil cap, too, since it is a bit of a bother now that it's gotten a bit old. It felt solidly closed, too. I didn't bother checking if it was an actual malfunction. I put it into the truck for later cleaning since it had saw dust clinging to the cap at the time and I was in the woods during a sleet and hail episode. I then removed my 372xp from the cab, complete with it's non flippy caps which have never failed me, and never will, and finished the job.

Flippy caps on Stihl saws are like a Big leaky boil on a Super Models neck.

You can get past the whole Diva attitude, expense, and bieng particular about accessorys, but ya just can't ignore that nasty leaking defect.

Ours does the same thing. Just replace it and toss a spare in the cutting box.
It's annoying as hell, but they just "Do that".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back