ms 250, saw or saw owner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
customer brings me 2 ms250 saws in boxes, both are partly torn apart, by the local stihl dealer, who sold the fellow the saws. He's bin having trouble with the oldest of the two for quite sometime. Won't take throttle, hard to start, won't idle. After his third trip to the dealer, and still havin the same trouble, the dealer says it needs rings. so he just buys another new ms250, after about a year of modest cutting(his words) it too is startin to act-up. dealer says the carb needs rebuilt. He told the dealer not to mess with it, and he'd come pick it up. He got it back in a box, in pieces just like the other, and 30 dollars lighter.

I told him i'd look at'em and see what the heck is going on. He swears they've never bin straight gased, and always used stihl oil at 50 to1.
First thing i did was chek compression ratio and pressure test. the oldest was at a weak 90 psi the other was 120psi and both failed the pressure test. After disassembly I noticed the cylinder and piston were burnt and varnished lookin, no gouges or melted piston. the rings checked fine in the jug. The cylinder cleaned-up fine as did the piston and rings. As suspected the clutch side seals on both saws are shot. which i figure to be the problem with both of'em.

Now the question is; Is he doggin the little saws to much?
Runnin dull chains?
Runnin the chain to tight?
Or is it just defective seals?

After callin and tellin him my diagnoses, and asked a few questions. He stated that; yeah he has burnt (his words) his way through alot of wood with a dull chain.(you can pretty much tell that by lookin at the fine dust, blued bar and clutch drum.) He had made the comment that it's a STIHL I thought they was good saws? I said, well they are. YOU just need to know how to use it PROPERLY and maintain it PROPERLY.

He gave me the go-ahead to fix them. Well after callin the dealer about new seals, he might change his mind. They quoted $21.00 apiece! i'm gonna call another dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I've found them on a website for 10 bucks apiece, maybe that's the way to go? i'm startin to think they (dealer) don't wanta work on'em, they'd just rather sell you a new one.

Yup, sounds like the damage is all on him. If he decides to fix them go over sharpeing, dressing the bar, checking the oiler for output, cleaning the bar's oiler hole and the rest of general saw maintenance.

Latest posts

Back