Ms 260 Pro Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawnewbie

Reaction score
I have a need for one chainsaw to do various homeowner chores and have a 5 acre wooded lot that I hope to build on some day. My sawing time is limited to borrowed saws and I did notice I did not care for heavy saws. I have researched this a little and it seems that the 260 Pro would be a great all-around homeowner saw. I realize it's pricey, but if it lasts and is safer for me to use given it's power to weight ratio maybe it's worth it. Can some others give me the Pros and Cons of this idea. Also Southern States wants $455.00 ----is this a fair price for a 16 inch bar model? Should I consider an 18 inch bar?
Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
I find it to be the BEST all around saw for the ground and in the tree. Good power to weight ratio with all bars you may put on it. That sounds like the standard price for the saw. They're about 450 up by me as well. With proper care and maintenance that saw will last you a long time.

tony

Good choice at a reasonable price. I don't think you would regret it.

When you buy it, don't be shy about admitting you're a relatively new user and ask them to show you how to use and maintain it. And keep a close eye on the chain tension the first few times you use it -- it will need to be adjusted as it stretches.

Also, do you already have eye and ear protection. If not, get it!

I'll echo what to the two gents above said. It's a great saw. You'll have guys that don't like it for one reason or another, but it's that way with any saw. This saw's been around a long time, and there's a reason for it. I don't know that it'd be any safer than any other saw, other than the fact that if it weighs less, you'll not tire as quickly, and fatigue being a big enemy of safety. Get your PPE-chaps included and enjoy the saw. I think you'd be fine with either the 16 or 18" bar. Be sure you get the PRO model, as it's got the adjustable oiler and decomp valve on it, and it's worth the extra price. I think you'd be happy with it.

Jeff

id second what they said. this will sound strange from me ,as i like the 026 so well. but for what your needs are ,id look at comparable echo saws. dependable , mid cost ,but pretty good quality. still u probably will be glad u got the 260 .jmo

Latest posts

Back