MS 271 Farm Boss Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how much more power the 271 has over the ms250 I have, but I have a 18" bar on my 250 and have since I got it new.... Granted I always cut smaller diameter logs, but I have buried the bar in hardwood many times, and with a light hand and sharp chain, I have never had a problem, I like the 18" bar because it helps reaching limbs a little easier.... Just my 2 pennies!!!!

I don't know how much more power the 271 has over the ms250 I have, but I have a 18" bar on my 250 and have since I got it new.... Granted I always cut smaller diameter logs, but I have buried the bar in hardwood many times, and with a light hand and sharp chain, I have never had a problem, I like the 18" bar because it helps reaching limbs a little easier.... Just my 2 pennies!!!!

Good point - you can generally go longer if you cut with a light hand. Hence Stihl ok'ing the 27x saws out to 20". For a lot of uses, particularly static cutting of downed logs, that is fine and my inclination toward short-barring saws might not be as necessary as I often make out to be.

Some uses, though, favor a setup that you can lean on harder or that can out-cut the wood you are cutting. Some types and styles of falling work would fit that template, as would working in tangled blow downs with odd and complex forces acting on the wood being cut.

An honest assessment of ones true cutting needs will go along way toward answering what sort of bar/chain setup is most appropriate.

Hi All -

I know Stihl says the MS 271 is capable of handling a 20" bar, but does it lose power going to that length? Does anyone run one with the 20" bar?

Thanks.

I have run a MS 270 with a 20" b&C for years, no issues at all. Now I am not worried about speed, just getting the wood cut. Yes it will cut faster with a smaller bar but with a light hand and a sharp chain you will be fine. Sis the dealer tell you it could not be run with a 20" b&c? When they fired up the saw did they say you would be better off with a smaller bar and chain set up? :D

No. They didn't say anything about the different bar sizes. They just listed the three lengths that could be placed on the 271. I'm not so concerned if the larger bar solely makes cutting a little longer, as long as it isnt bad for the integrity of the saw. If the motor can handle it, im okay with it, and may just get an additional bar and chain, so I can swap them out based on the job.

I think what chains you run will also have a factor if it can handle a 20 inch bar or not. A homeowners green semi chain will cut much slower than a full chisel yellow rs chain. I think your saw would be ok with the 20 inch bar and the homeowners low kickback chains.

My buddy has the 271 with a 20" bar. It does just fine, that saw is an animal. Hell, my 250 turns an 18 with no issues.

It's interesting that guys always want a longer bar than a saw was designed for. I just had a customer who bought an 025 from me last year tell me that it runs so well that he wants to bump the 16" bar to an 18" bar. It's a request I've heard time and time again. Heck, I'm running an 026 PRO with a 16" bar. I figure that if I really need an 18" bar, I'll pick up my 028 Super.

Hi All -

I know Stihl says the MS 271 is capable of handling a 20" bar, but does it lose power going to that length? Does anyone run one with the 20" bar?

Thanks.
I mainly use a 20” on my 271 and I have no problems. I sharpen my own chains as well which makes it beneficial as well.
Never had any problems using a 20” on the 271

Latest posts

Back