ms 290 help..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerefarmer23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am new here, so please bear with me.. I have been cutting a up some ash logs i have piled up and last night my old trust ms290 seemed to be getting the bar quit hot. started to see a little discoloration starting so i stopped and oiled her up. the ash was pulling plenty hard, but i am wonering if i am getting enough oil? is there any adjustment to the oiler on this saw? I am going to give it a good cleaning tonight to rule out any plugged ports or channels. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..ps i am running the stock 16" bar and a loop of RSC chain with stihl oil, if that would make any difference..

Welcome to the site. There is an adjustment on the bottom of the saw to adjust the oiler. You may find that a good cleaning will help the most. Make sure to clean the bar too, and make sure that the holes on either side of the mounting stud slot are clean. After ward, fire it up and run it near wide open with the tip a few inches from some cardboard. If you get a line of oil slinging off the chain, you should be good. If not, you may need a new oiler. I had to replace mine this spring. It's really not that hard, and there are a lot of helpful guys on this site to help you through it. Good luck.

A dull chain will also cause the bar & chain to heat up. Sharpen the saw clean the bar groove and try it again before ripping the saw apart. Easiest test for oil production is running the saw without the bar and chain. The clutch must spin for the oiler to work so release the chainbrake after the saw is running. You should see a stream of oil out of the weep hole.

forgot...

i do touch up the chain every 3-4 tanks of gas, granddfather always taught it was easier to sharpen a little all the time then one big time later. I gave it a good cleaning tonight and i will check the oiler tomorrow when i use it.

Back