MS 290 Problems...eBay JUNK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could only hope that jackass ran it on straight gas and didnt know. Then ran the replacement saw he buys with your money on straight gas too. :mad:

That looks like what happened to it...

The exhaust smells like 2 smoke though....

The bar is pretty much cooked...needs a good dressing at least....

Why does my a$$ hurt right now? :mad:

Not to mention, I'm pi$$ed enough about this to just go buy a 361 new tomorrow.... I got a line on about 4-6 cords of SWEET oak this last weekend and started on that...I want to get it stacked before the snow gets too deep.

Cutting wood is hard enough without having to stop and fiddle with the saw every other cut.

:givebeer:

That looks like what happened to it...

The exhaust smells like 2 smoke though....

The bar is pretty much cooked...needs a good dressing at least....

Why does my a$$ hurt right now? :mad:

Not to mention, I'm pi$$ed enough about this to just go buy a 361 new tomorrow.... I got a line on about 4-6 cords of SWEET oak this last weekend and started on that...I want to get it stacked before the snow gets too deep.

Cutting wood is hard enough without having to stop and fiddle with the saw every other cut.

:givebeer:

dude if you have the money be my guest the 290 can be a winter build

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that damn near all the people I see come here and b1tch about ebay saws... actually got exactly what they paid for.

I'm no genius... but I have never gotten burned on ebay. You have to be careful... Ebay is a sellers market, and the buyer HAS to be the one that does all the legwork to make sure they don't get burned.

Sorry you got something you didn't expect... I would have never bid on that saw... period.

Gary

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that damn near all the people I see come here and b1tch about ebay saws... actually got exactly what they paid for.

I'm no genius... but I have never gotten burned on ebay. You have to be careful... Ebay is a sellers market, and the buyer HAS to be the one that does all the legwork to make sure they don't get burned.

Sorry you got something you didn't expect... I would have never bid on that saw... period.

Gary

Gary,

What oil would you recomend that I run in it when I get it going? :hmm3grin2orange:

Wise words...all true!

Here is the auction link...he did say it didn't run...it is pretty much mint other than a bad piston/cylinder....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360106213083

Bummer, dude. I did read the description on the e-bay listing and it does say: "YOUR BIDDING ON A STIHL SAW MS 290 , THE SAW AS CUT ABOUT 2 CORDS OF WOOD. I CAN NOT GET TO START UP THIS YEAR, PLUS I HAVE CORN STOVE THIS YEAR! DONT NEED IT ANY MORE. THIS IS BEING SOLD IN AS "PARTS" OR IF YOUR A HANDYMAN CARB COULD GUMMED UP.

That $uck$. Wish I could help you with parts, but all my saws are all orange, not the white/orange variety.

JQ

Last edited:
you bought a saw that did not run for 255.00 and did not physically inspect the saw.......i wouldnt be barking at the ebay seller...you bought it

Long story short...figured it was a saw with a bad carb.... Put some parts in it and run it....

I NEED A 390 p/c!!!!!

Spending $275 for an unknown used saw vs $350 for a brand new one? Not enough margin to make that worth the risk.

Don't listen to the gang bangers! You bought a saw hoping for the best, not expecting the worst, and got burnt. It happens, and you learned a lesson. Get the thing apart. You may be able to clean up the cylinder and have it running with nothing more than a piston. Then you've got the option of going with the 390 P&C as well. If you're need a saw this week, you're going to need another saw. If you've got the money to buy a 361, do it. Then you can fix this one up and sell it when you have time.

Spreading false hopes.... 390 cylinder and pistons are like hens teeth...

Just buy another entire motor from FISH, then you'll have a brand new 290..

From what I have seen of two strokes (LOTS) and nikasil cylinders....it's junk...

If I'm going to pull it down, I'm going to have parts on hand and not burn through another set of rings to find out something I already know...it needs a top end.

I don't have room in the garage/work bench for a saw torn apart. I have sleds coming in that need shocks rebuilt, top ends etc....

I don't "need" a new saw and I don't really have the money, but I can afford one. New 290's around here are going for straight retail...I was hoping to save $100+

Back