MS 290 Problems...eBay JUNK

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay chainsaws :monkey:

I have posted a ton of warnings about buying saws on Ebay, and several threads on AS were removed after I bought a POS 210 on Ebay and posted it here and we got juat a tad carried away... :taped:

Anyway, only buy on Ebay with a CC. Then if it is junk, just call the CC company and say it was not as listed in the auction, and return it. CC company will refund your money when they get confirmation of receipt of return shipping. It does not matter if they say it is a parts saw, or that they do not take returns. Accepting CC payments forces sellers to accept them in return if you are not satisfied. ...It is in the fine print... You have to pay for return shipping though.

You can also file a complaint with Paypal and get your money back if you paid that way. Again, it does not matter if the seller says that they do not accept returns. Using Paypal they assumed the right of the buyer to return any product if it was not as described. However that requires that you file a complaint with Paypal and they side in your favor. I have done it, and it is not that difficult to do. This case would be an easy case to file a complaint on; it is cleary a deception. Seller pleading ignorance is not a defence in most cases. You will have to return the saw and pay for the shipping, and provide Paypal with the return shipping info so they can verify. There are several issues with this method though, and why you should :bang: ALWAYS PAY FOR EBAY ITEMS WITH A CREDIT CARD :bang: The main issue with a Paypal resolved return being that the seller has to verify that the saw is in teh condition that it was as they shipped it to you, and the second is that the seller has to have money in a Paypal account to return to you. If they have zero money in their paypal account, Paypal will bill them, and if any money is sent to their Paypal account from other sources, they will take it and post it back to you. Its a long painful process though, and not one I want to ever do again.

In the least, if you have not already done so, post a negative feedback on the sale and say that his ad was deceptive and that he sent you crap. Ebay sellers can no longer post negative, or even neutral feedback in retaliation to buyer's feedback any more. In a nutshell that will wreck his future sales on Ebay, and warn others about him. It is likely that he knew the saw was toasted. No way around it.

As for fixing the 290, they are a pain to work on, but if it only a piston it may well work out for you. I still have the 210 Saw From Hell (I think it was Ian that gave that saw its name, I forget). Or rather, my ex still has it. I super-glued the broken fin back onto the flywheel (it works!) and repalced the coil, pulled the oil pump and cleaned it up, replaced the cracked impulse line, and got a new sprocket and chain for it, and well, it works like a champ now. It was a busted beater that the seller bought and flipped on Ebay to me. He is no longer an Ebay seller... and I have my Ebay 100% positive feedback again.

I have sold a couple of saws on eBay that had absolutely nothing wrong with them. Luckily the buyer had sense enough to know they were in good shape. I cringe every time I sell one. Put a container of Stihl HP Ultra in the box and tell them what to do with it, starting instructions, etc. There are just as many morons buying these as there are selling them.

Well....we shall see were this goes....

Found some motor options if I get stuck with it....none of them cost effective at this point, would have been better of buying new.

Thanks guys!

quote: ...would have been better off buying new....

Hmmmm. I have so many people who brag to me about the great deals they got on eBay, including saws, I can't count them. When pressed, none have EVER shown me the object of the great deal. However, many have shown me the junk they got screwed on from an eBay buy ["look at this garbage, I got cheated!!! Can you believe this junk...."]

Most of them continue to buy via eBay and continue to get shafted. I suppose that if you find a project saw, or a parts saw, and it is reasonably priced [sometimes you can get a parts saw for for a couple of the parts you need to restore another saw and the entire parts saw cost less than brand new OEM parts.....] but I'll save up for a new saw before I go with eBay. The credit card thing is good advice, but I just don't want the hassle. I'd buy a used saw from someone around here but then I could see, feel, fool with the saw and decide if it's worth it to me.

People continue to think they'll come up with some incredible find on eBay. People also continue to hit Central City, Las Vegas, and Foxwood, too. Someone will win the Lottery.

Last edited:
I have not been a HUGE ebayer...but I have gotten probably close to 60 items off the site over the last couple of years....

Never once had a problem...ever...in fact, some of the items aren't available any place else and they saved me HUGE $$$.

Now I'm not saying but something like a car or snowmobile off fleabay...I have a buddy that has done that...why...I have NO idea...but he has gotten screwed and keeps coming back. He is an avid auction goer too...if it is at an auction...it has to be a good deal....

i bought my 066 on e-bay and it has 170psi compression it runs like a champ.... but, when you are buying off ebay read every word and be very careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact of the matter is... when you buy a saw with only a 2 sentence (misspelled) description... You're asking for trouble.

Hope everything works out with the rebuild of the 290 mang... too bad it went this way for ya.

Gary

Thanks!

I just need to find some cheap parts...overall, the saw is in good shape, but it will need new bar, chain and top end...

Obviously, I would like to stay under the new price, but doesn't look promising!

BTW....looking at the manual...I should be able to just yank the top end off and not replace the crank seals right?

Back