MS 290 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had the safety humps ground off, the rakers at the right hieght and the cutters sharp that .325 should have cut real good. Faster than 3/8 in bigger hardwood.. 3/8 might cut faster in small softwood. Steve

Dipstick??????

You cannot come up with anything better than that?

He won't even bother putting that one in his signature.........

I got sent to band camp for calling a real jackass a WIENER, I would rather be called a wiener than a dipstick. Calling someone with a whole lot more smarts about saws and chains a dipstick is just plain disrespectfull

I'd get shut of mine, if I could find a buyer! Troll has his points.

There's a kernel of truth in what I wrote and it's mostly for the professional sawyers and enthusiasts, but I was just having fun. The 290 is a durable saw that has its place. Enjoy your saw. Just don't get your hands on a 50-60cc pro saw for comparison purposes--ignorance is bliss!

There's a kernel of truth in what I wrote and it's mostly for the professional sawyers and enthusiasts, but I was just having fun. The 290 is a durable saw that has its place. Enjoy your saw. Just don't get your hands on a 50-60cc pro saw for comparison purposes--ignorance is bliss!

That's the point alot of people can't afford to buy a pro saw when they can only afford a consumer grade saw and they can only have one saw

When you have someone that put's members down every chance he can about there choice of saw and it doesn't matter which brand it is

That's not my only saw. Also have a268 Husky plus a few more. I needed a saw with a20 inch bar at the time and wound up with the Stihl. Bought the Husky later.love the old Husky,but it's wearing a 28 inch bar at the moment, so I use the boat anchor, I mean 290.

One of the problems with the internet is that there is no way to detect emotion. I didn't mean to cast stones at you man. Obviously you read my question differently than I intended it. I am a dipstick, probably more often than not. Ask my wife, or worse, my co-workers. I had not seen any of your previous posts. I see guys come into the shop nearly every day with chains that have no or improper depth gauges. Since I didn't know you, I thought that maybe you had done this. That would certainly explain your dismay with .325 if you had. I have a very good friend who ruins every chain he gets by grinding off the rakers, and I cannot get him to quit with it. Funny that he is always amazed at how fast my smaller saws cut than his rakerless (is that a word?) 359 Husky.

The 290 is what it is. Muffler mods make them a bit better. I still take an 029 Super pretty much any time I go cutting, and I have PLENTY of saws that are more interesting in all colors. I prefer an 18" bar and .325 chisel chain on those, but that is just me. I have tried up to a 28" bar (3/8) before, and the world did not trip off its axis. With the rakers a little high (sharpened rocked chain, but not lowered rakers) it made long logs into short ones just the same. I am glad you found a combination that works for you. Sounds like the CAD is already in your bloodstream. :cheers:

One of the problems with the internet is that there is no way to detect emotion. I didn't mean to cast stones at you man. Obviously you read my question differently than I intended it. I am a dipstick, probably more often than not. Ask my wife, or worse, my co-workers. I had not seen any of your previous posts. I see guys come into the shop nearly every day with chains that have no or improper depth gauges. Since I didn't know you, I thought that maybe you had done this. That would certainly explain your dismay with .325 if you had. I have a very good friend who ruins every chain he gets by grinding off the rakers, and I cannot get him to quit with it. Funny that he is always amazed at how fast my smaller saws cut than his rakerless (is that a word?) 359 Husky.

The 290 is what it is. Muffler mods make them a bit better. I still take an 029 Super pretty much any time I go cutting, and I have PLENTY of saws that are more interesting in all colors. I prefer an 18" bar and .325 chisel chain on those, but that is just me. I have tried up to a 28" bar (3/8) before, and the world did not trip off its axis. With the rakers a little high (sharpened rocked chain, but not lowered rakers) it made long logs into short ones just the same. I am glad you found a combination that works for you. Sounds like the CAD is already in your bloodstream. :cheers:

I'm a little quick on the trigger sometimes and I'm prone to say about what's on my mind. I thank you for your views and experience and regret that it may have caused any bad feelings.i generally try to get along rather than get against. May you live long and prosper.

I have cut a lot of wood with my 290 with muffler mod, I will admit i was a little disappointed the first time i ran it . It did get better after it was broke in, but you really have to do the muffler mod, after that and some fine tuning, i cant complain. I think it is a great firewood saw for the price. I run a 25 inch bar on mine no prob for big stuff. whats the problem with the flippy caps? I like them, no tools needed! I dont see what the problem is!!! someone tell me...

Beats me on the flippy caps! Best part on the whole saw as far as I'm concerned. I guess one of my largest concerns with the ms 290 is that it doesn't have a good balance, for lack of something better to call it. Cuts awright, buttt!!!

Back