MS 291 + $70 = MS 261 & NICE saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choclabs

Reaction score
To All - THANKS!

I trolled for 5 days trying to figure out the best value buy for my budget and needs. Many of you who post here have shared some very valuable and experienced opinions. From the collected wisdom of all that I read I had it narrowed down to either MS 291 or MS 261 and Husq 460 Rancher or 550xp. Then I had a pro come out this weekend and fell my old dead 60ft high plus 40in base daimeter water oak tree. He said Stihl for long term reliability and Husq for rpm. He then coached me to lean towards Stihl pro series as it would be a long lived and reliable saw for someone who only needs to use a saw every so often. This guy has been sawing trees for over 30 years.

I also valued the great advice off the forum to weigh service department oriented dealers and I was happy to come home this morning with the MS 261. Full disclosure, localStihl premier dealer had a MS 290 and no MS 291 on the shelf but did have the MS 261. So I had no real MS 291 option as most all local dealers are trying to sell off the large inventory of MS 290 Ranch Boss saws prior to ordering the MS 291.

My only local Husq authorized service shop did not even sell Husq so I was relegated to Home Depot if I was to buy Husq and no 550xp in stock. With this reality it became a no brainer.

The Stihl dealer swapped out the green chain and installed the yellow chain for free, threw in a free gallon of bar oil and filled out my extended warranty for me. He gased it, filled the oil tank, demonstrated the proper starting procedure and showed me how to service/replace the air filter. I left with extra chain and a couple of files plus jig and the 6 pack of Stihl 2 stroke oil.

I just got finished with my first battle on the felled oak tree. After about 50 cuts, I must admit that this saw kicks butt. Yes I could bog the 20in bar if I tried, but when allowing the saw to cut at it's own best pace I was amazed. Now I am not a totally inexperienced saw operator, but this is the first saw that I have ever bought for myself. I've cut up about 20 or so trees in my life and worked for a subdivision building construction company where I sawed many already felled trees to get them sized to be put in my dump truck. This is the most efficient saw for the size and weight that I have ever worked with. So far the chain seems to still be extremely sharp and this is some very hard oak that I am working with.

I am very thankful to have access to all of the collective wisdom available on this forum. It is my fear that after spending so much time reading about all of the excellent saw motor tuners involved with this industry, that I will succumb to the Tim Tool Time Taylor Binford Syndrome - MORE HORSEPOWER is ALWAYS better!

I am a Happy Camper with obtaining a good value purchase as a result of my research on this forum.

Michael

To All - THANKS!

I trolled for 5 days trying to figure out the best value buy for my budget and needs. Many of you who post here have shared some very valuable and experienced opinions. From the collected wisdom of all that I read I had it narrowed down to either MS 291 or MS 261 and Husq 460 Rancher or 550xp. Then I had a pro come out this weekend and fell my old dead 60ft high plus 40in base daimeter water oak tree. He said Stihl for long term reliability and Husq for rpm. He then coached me to lean towards Stihl pro series as it would be a long lived and reliable saw for someone who only needs to use a saw every so often. This guy has been sawing trees for over 30 years.

I also valued the great advice off the forum to weigh service department oriented dealers and I was happy to come home this morning with the MS 261. Full disclosure, localStihl premier dealer had a MS 290 and no MS 291 on the shelf but did have the MS 261. So I had no real MS 291 option as most all local dealers are trying to sell off the large inventory of MS 290 Ranch Boss saws prior to ordering the MS 291.

My only local Husq authorized service shop did not even sell Husq so I was relegated to Home Depot if I was to buy Husq and no 550xp in stock. With this reality it became a no brainer.

The Stihl dealer swapped out the green chain and installed the yellow chain for free, threw in a free gallon of bar oil and filled out my extended warranty for me. He gased it, filled the oil tank, demonstrated the proper starting procedure and showed me how to service/replace the air filter. I left with extra chain and a couple of files plus jig and the 6 pack of Stihl 2 stroke oil.

I just got finished with my first battle on the felled oak tree. After about 50 cuts, I must admit that this saw kicks butt. Yes I could bog the 20in bar if I tried, but when allowing the saw to cut at it's own best pace I was amazed. Now I am not a totally inexperienced saw operator, but this is the first saw that I have ever bought for myself. I've cut up about 20 or so trees in my life and worked for a subdivision building construction company where I sawed many already felled trees to get them sized to be put in my dump truck. This is the most efficient saw for the size and weight that I have ever worked with. So far the chain seems to still be extremely sharp and this is some very hard oak that I am working with.

I am very thankful to have access to all of the collective wisdom available on this forum. It is my fear that after spending so much time reading about all of the excellent saw motor tuners involved with this industry, that I will succumb to the Tim Tool Time Taylor Binford Syndrome - MORE HORSEPOWER is ALWAYS better!

I am a Happy Camper with obtaining a good value purchase as a result of my research on this forum.

Michael

Congrats on your new saw...I was in the same situation recently, but got the 271 for 180.00 less than the 261...my cheapness envies your wisdom:msp_smile:

You made a good choice. Sometime run a homeowner grade saw or smaller saw and it will really reinforce how bad ass the 261 runs.

I feel Nikkos Presence. You may not like what he has to say about your new found tool. I feel you got a great saw.

Right, but with those options he made the right choise. In that context, it is irrelevant that there are better 50cc saws out there. :msp_wink:

261 is an incredible saw, well done.

However, now that you are a member CAD will quickly set in. You'll realize you just aren't complete without at least a 3 saw plan. A 441 cm and soon to be available 661 CM would be a fantastic arsenal for a new to saws guy 3 saw plan.... just saying:givebeer:

That was much NICER than I thought. You must be waiting like the rest of us. For Brad to show use the video of the new ms261c he is getting tomorrow.

:laugh: Not really waiting for anything, and it is an open question if the cm is able to handle the destratification that seems necessary when modding a 261 (both Randy and Brad do that)......:confused2:

They need more extensive mods than the 346xp and 550xp, to run even close to them.

:laugh: Not really waiting for anything, and it is an open question if the cm is able to handle the destratification that seems necessary when modding a 261 (both Randy and Brad do that)......:confused2:

They need more extensive mods than the 346xp and 550xp, to run even close to them.

That's a little dramatic, as I have mentioned before the guys that cut with me run 261's and they are smoother and more efficient than my 550. The AT is the feature that puts the 550 ahead of the Stihl's

I understand that it comes down to some personal perception, however to say it needs "extensive mods" to run close is like I said, a little dramatic.

That's a little dramatic, as I have mentioned before the guys that cut with me run 261's and they are smoother and more efficient than my 550. The AT is the feature that puts the 550 ahead of the Stihl's

I understand that it comes down to some personal perception, however to say it needs "extensive mods" to run close is like I said, a little dramatic.

This thread is about a Stihl chain saw what else would ST say :msp_ohmy:

IMO

This thread is about a Stihl chain saw what else would ST say :msp_ohmy:

IMO

Well, I can read "the small print" in what the modders say, and not just the large print.

"Destratificatiton" may or may not be within the limits of the cm - time will tell! :msp_wink::givebeer:

Well, I can read "the small print" in what the modders say, and not just the large print.

"Destratificatiton" may or may not be within the limits of the cm - time will tell! :msp_wink::givebeer:

Now what was it you (ST) said about the MS 461 when it came out :msp_wink:

It doesn't matter what saw ST you'll have something bad to say about it !

IMO

Right, but with those options he made the right choise. In that context, it is irrelevant that there are better 50cc saws out there. :msp_wink:

It is VERY irrelevant that there may be better 50cc saws out there. Yet, you seem to point it out every opportunity that you have. ;)

Congrats on your 261. I am looking at the 261 as well as my first saw with a 20" bar.
I have been reading posts and watching youtube videos until my eyes are popping out of my head.

Are you going to leave your 261 stock ?

Sounds like a good dealer. If he sold you the saw at only $70 above a 291 then you got a great deal (or his 291's were too high ;) ). I personally love the 261 and can't wait for the C-M to become available to me.

Latest posts

Back