MS 360 gas and oil caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to get new seals for the old caps. I just put one on my 039 (yes I know it doesn't have flippy caps) they should have them for your saw also, I think mine was around $1.50.

Take the saw in to your dealer. There was a recall and/or replacement policy implemented awhile back. I've gotten many new fuel/oil caps based on saw serial numbers, but most of them were 1127 series saws. Also, I can't remember if it's a "D" or "E", but if the cap has the correct (or, I guess incorrect) letter under the cap it's replaceable on the spot.

Otherwise, just order new ones . . . they're cheap, just $5.49 each.

Please correct me if im wrong but If I remember correctly the recall never applied to chainsaws for some reason...and the ones with D are the ones that should be replaced...E and after are ok

I don't know if you can fix them. I sure to hate them though. One of the worst things stihl ever did IMHO.

v/r

Mike

Please correct me if im wrong but If I remember correctly the recall never applied to chainsaws for some reason...and the ones with D are the ones that should be replaced...E and after are ok

There were other pieces of equipment involved in the actual recall (my string trimmer, for instance), but you can get caps replaced for chainsaws. I'm not sure if chainsaws were specifically part of the recall, but they are replaceable at no cost to the customer if it's an included chainsaw serial number or a "D" cap. I've gotten no less than 20 caps from my dealer based on saw s/n or the "D" at no cost to me.

Based on what he has done for me though, it's only the larger cap that's used for fuel & oil on larger saws. On the smaller flippy-cap saws that have a slightly smaller oil cap, the oil cap is not included for some reason as far as I understand it.

Went to dealer this morning the recall has ended,two caps 12.11,like you fellows said ,WHY did they ever change to this!
Thanks

Went to dealer this morning the recall has ended,two caps 12.11,like you fellows said ,WHY did they ever change to this!
Thanks
The reasons I was given are that the old style caps were different for different pieces of equipment and that chainsaw users in particular would torque on the old style caps with a scrench till they broke the center of the cap out rather than buy a new gasket for the underside of the cap. So essentially they discovered a new way for our fuel caps to leak :)

Oh and why should a recall end? If Ford recalled vehicles for faulty brakes, they wouldn't stop fixing them after a year right? Does Stihl think it is OK for fuel to leak on my customers lawn as long as they already replaced somebody else's flippy caps?
Dave

Back