MS 360 Pro down (again)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pull the seals and have a look. Check the big end rod bearing visualy and flush the case. No need to split it.
I've never messed with seals either but I think my 024 needs them so I'll practice on that 1st.
Baby steps toward attempting a bottom end some day. lol Thanks guys !

I don't know if part of the clip is missing or he used one of the original clips and a meteor one... They get good air on occasion when you put it together.. I put a bag over now when I do it.. A trick I learned here on AS..

Brian

Would you take a pic of the circlips stacked on top of each other? With the "good" circlip on the bottom. I'm looking to see how much is worn off.

Circlips.jpg

I tossed them in the trash after that pic. Tomorrow I'll look to see if they landed where I can still see/get them.
My wife's a graphic designer. Maybe she can overlay the pics ? Stay tuned.

Here ya go (thanks to wifey). :clap: Better than I could have done in real life. Plus, I didn't have to dig in the trash.
I thought about asking her to rotate the buggered one clockwise, so the left ends lined up, but decided to quit while I was ahead. LOL

attachment.php

Last edited:
Great photo work ! ! ! How do I rep your wife ? :laugh:

Definitely something to do with the circlip. Grooves too deep, wrist pin too short relative to the grooves, something like that.

I'm curious to hear what some of our "old hands" think ?

Looks more like a bearing piece or nut was rattlin' around in there judging from the marks on the piston. There was definitely something significant in there!! Maybe the item damaged the circlip, versus the clip being the culprit. Does that big gouge in one end of the wrist pin hole match the worn circlip? Is that the side the bad clip came from in other words? (referring to pic #2 of the piston)

I'd definitely do some investigation before adding a new P/C.

Last edited:
That damage looks significant enough to suspect another UFO than the circlip...If it's a bearing roller, you might feel it when rotating the crank with the crank rod. Maybe splitting the case may give you 100% certainty.

Check the muffler also for the UFO...it might be in there.

that C clip looks more like it has suffered erosion than breakage, but what ever hit that piston caused that damage in one stroke and the effect was obvious and immediate. that c clip looks like it was moving and rubbing. it has shortened the length and thinned it on the lower right; this was done over time.

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting it back together. I've got @ 1/2 tank through it. Runs nice. Thanks to bcorradi and Baily's. :clap:
I went with the NWP piston. I didn't dig in to look at the bearings. I flushed the bottom end out and the crank felt tight and smooth.
I'm banking on that circlip being the culprit. :cry:

Now ya tell me ! Peckerhead ! LOL

I just had a ball cutting up a big white pine. Did the top half with the MS360/20"
and the 19"d.+ and limbing with the new-to-me Husq. 268/24". I sure like the reach of that 24".
Lots of fun and will have my buddy mill it for lumber that will help build our sugarhouse. :clap:
I need to find some more trees. :)

Last edited:
Now ya tell me ! Peckerhead ! LOL

I just had a ball cutting up a big white pine. Did the top half with the MS360/20"
and the 19"d.+ and limbing with the new-to-me Husq. 268/24". I sure like the reach of that 24".
Lots of fun and will have my buddy mill it for lumber that will help build our sugarhouse. :clap:
I need to find some more trees. :)

Sounds like the 268 is working out for you. Good. BTW, it has factory Husky clips in it......

Sounds like the 268 is working out for you.
Yup. If I can bulk up just a bit then my 50cc saw may have to take a back seat.
I just need to find some more softwood lumber trees to cut. I've got plenty of firewood trees but I'm already 2 yrs. ahead on firewood.

Latest posts

Back