Ms 360 pro rebuild ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey gang, Last week I bought a 034, 038, and a ms360 pro for $100.
The 038 runs good, but it needs a side cover. The 034 is in rough shape, probably won't do anything with it. And the ms360 pro looks good and clean, but the local stihl dealer said it needed a new piston and such. He told me it was gonna cost $200-$250 parts/labor to get it operational. Is this saw worth throwing $250 into? Or should I get an aftermarket P&C and mess with it myself?

034 if super is much like the 360 pro.

Look up some threads on the MS360. They are very good rep around here.

If you are lucky the cylinder may be able to be acid cleaned and you can put a piston in it. Most important is to find find out why it got ruined in the first place.

Welcome to the site:clap:

Hey gang, Last week I bought a 034, 038, and a ms360 pro for $100.
The 038 runs good, but it needs a side cover. The 034 is in rough shape, probably won't do anything with it. And the ms360 pro looks good and clean, but the local stihl dealer said it needed a new piston and such. He told me it was gonna cost $200-$250 parts/labor to get it operational. Is this saw worth throwing $250 into? Or should I get an aftermarket P&C and mess with it myself?

Do it your self ! It is not that had to do with all of the knowledge that is available on AS. If I can rebuild an 034 and upgrade it to a 036 Pro anyone can. This was all done with info gained here . But remember {the Cad} It will grab you!

Last edited:
By what the stihl dealer said, it sounds like the cylinder is ok, but I haven't seen it for myself. I am fairly certain it was a too lean issue though, since he said it was by the exhaust port. And I'll be looking into that as well so it doesn't happen again. Still, for $100 for a 034, 038, and a ms360 pro, I thought it was a decent deal!

I paid 90 bones for a MS360 pro that had a broken crank and split the case and did bearings as well as crank and basic stuff. It was my first time going through one. Pretty straight forward saw to work on.

you done good on your deal for that price:clap:

Personally, I replace all of the soft parts on a saw when I get it with the possible exception of the carb boot, but I check that very carefully. I consider crank seals soft parts.

There is a member here (sponser) that sells meteor pistons. The other soft parts I personally think one is better off to go with OEM from dealer.

I don't recall member that sells the pistons name but someone will chime in soon on that.

I have a matching used OEM Stihl piston and cylinder for an 036. It's Mahle made. I bought 1 used set online and when I opened the box I had 2 sets shipped to me. The guy figured I could use it more than he could just setting around.

Anywho, I rebuilt my MS360 Pro with one set and have since got rid of that saw. The only difference between the set I have and the MS360Pro is that my used set has no compression release.

If you want the set let me know. I'd recommend you order a new piston wrist pin, pin bearing, and pin retaining clips. Probably wouldn't hurt to order a new ring set as well.

So I got the ms360 pro, back from the stihl dealer after they replaced the p&c etc. I told them to go through it, and replace whatever is needing it and such. I've ran a couple tanks through it now, and I honestly expected it to have more power, or atleast about the same amount of power that my husqvarna 455 has. But it just doesn't even come close! And it's only got a 16" bar w/chisel chain and the 455 has a 20" bar w/chisel chain.
It has little low end punch/torque. And it is really clanky clangy at idle around the sprocket area. It doesn't look like they even rebuilt the carb like I ask them to.
Even when I try to adjust the carb, it makes almost no difference. Any thoughts? Was I just expecting too much? Or should I have someone else look at it?

Sounds like you're going to have to repair the repair because it should work better than a 455 .
Either take it back (Not sure I'd advise that) or cut your loss with the dealer and send it to a builder here to get done right because that saw should be a paycheck earner .

I am one of the minority around here who likes the 455. With that said, the 360 should have a noticeable power advantage. It will probably turn a few less rpms, but should still cut faster. I have a 360c on my bench now needing crank bearings and a set of rings. It got stored after being pressure washed. Piston is minty, so she'll be a cheap date. FWIW, my old 036 pro will TROUNCE a 455 all day long. There must be something wrong with your 360.

You got a good deal on the saws!. Not so much from the fix and tune dealer :( Not all dealers are bad but some have marginal mechanics. "Wrenches" are the deciding factor on how stuff runs.

Anybody can make it run, "Tuners" make things run right and to their full potential, nuf said.

Quote that.

I had intended on doing the tear down, and rebuild myself, but I've been working way to many hours and figured the stihl dealer would do it right. This is the same dealer that I ordered a chain adjuster for the 038av almost 5 weeks ago, and it still hasn't came in! Seems kinda crazy.
I know of another stihl dealer, about 35 miles from me, and he is supposed to be top notch, I'll probably try him or send it to someone on the forum here. Either way, I just know it should be way better then it is now.

I had intended on doing the tear down, and rebuild myself, but I've been working way to many hours and figured the stihl dealer would do it right. This is the same dealer that I ordered a chain adjuster for the 038av almost 5 weeks ago, and it still hasn't came in! Seems kinda crazy.
I know of another stihl dealer, about 35 miles from me, and he is supposed to be top notch, I'll probably try him or send it to someone on the forum here. Either way, I just know it should be way better then it is now.

no one wants to drive 35 mi. for a $10. part, but 5 weeks? my dealer gets parts for 30 yr old saws in less than a week, if theyre not on the shelf.

I know it right, I already drive 35 miles one way to work every day, just in the exact opposite direction! Lol the dealer I've been messing around with is actually in the town I work in since its 1 mile from work. There is a stihl dealer where I live, but he just got the franchise rights a year or so ago when the old original local stihl dealer passed away. So I'm kinda nervous about going there also. I don't know, but I'm rather disappointed in the level of service I received from the dealer I used out of convenience.

Back