MS 361 opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnmaniac883

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here; was referred to this site by the fine folks over on lawnsite.

Anyway, I am looking to buy a new saw in the 500+ dollar range and need your opinions. I greatly prefer stihl over anything as my dealer is awesome. Have heard decent reviews of the 361 over on lawnsite and would like to hear your reviews and recommendations.

Will be used frequently and needs to pull a 20" bar easily. Also; what chain would you recommend for soft wood cutting? Thanks

Welcome to site, check out the search feature at the top of the screen. Search for stihl 361 there are many threads on site about it and have not seen many negatives, I have one and think it is a great saw. 20" bar will be the max for this saw in my opinion. Glad to hear you have a good dealer, will help with your decision. :)
Now prepare for the husky, dolmar, echo diehards to respond with their opinions. :clap:

Welcome to the site. I have a MS361 also, honestly I have not used it much but what I have has been great, very free running, fast reving saw. I have a 20" bar with 3/8" chain on my saw. I will agree with the previous poster to prepare for different points of view. I have been on Lawnsite and the TORO vs. Exmark vs. Grasshopper vs. Kubota type discussion/arguement goes on here but it is Stihl vs. Husky vs. Jonsereds etc. I would highly recommend the MS361, especially if you have a good dealer nearby for support.

I highly recommend the 361... I use mine a lot and love it. Search the entire site - you'll be hard pressed to find anyone saying bad or even neutral things about this saw, and If you have a great dealer, then...

I hate to say 'don't bother searching' but in this case what you'll find is that everyone who has a 361 really likes it and everyone who doesn't thinks their (insert name of favorite non-stihl saw or 041 FB here) is a better deal.
John...:deadhorse:

Thanks guys, I did a search and read reviews for about an hour and I am pretty much dead set on the 361 now. No one posted a bad word about that saw in the threads I looked at. Keep the opinions comming fellas; Thanks.

Are you related to Lawnmasters? (Also in Florida)

HAHAHAHA

Fred
might be, but I dont think I've got any other family besides 2 aunts and like 4 cousins here.

Oh, I think I am definately gonna buy it. Dealer is getting a call tomorrow gonna ask him if he has in stock before I make the drive and get him to go ahead and set it up with a 20'' bar and chain. The fact that noone has come on here and said oh nonono blah blah blah you dont want that pos is very encouraging. Anymore comments?

lawnmaniac883 said:
Anymore comments?

There was one guy on here, "noah" I think his name was, and he bought one of the early ones, and some had starting problems. That issue has long been dealt with and isn't a concern anymore. Didn't want you seeing that thread and worrying. The 361 is a workhorse. I've posted quite extensively on it here, and I use it for light timber, and even a climbing saw (before I bought my 200T). It's a supberb saw in every way.

Open the muffler...

Jeff

lawnmaniac883 said:
Hi all, I am new here; was referred to this site by the fine folks over on lawnsite.

Anyway, I am looking to buy a new saw in the 500+ dollar range and need your opinions. I greatly prefer stihl over anything as my dealer is awesome. Have heard decent reviews of the 361 over on lawnsite and would like to hear your reviews and recommendations.

Will be used frequently and needs to pull a 20" bar easily. Also; what chain would you recommend for soft wood cutting? Thanks

The 361 is a terrible saw. Every one I've sold has yet to come back for anything. Hows a man suppose to make a living doing repairs if the product never comes back. Its a good machine..............

Holy ****

Well, got my saw and have already taken down a good sized palm that was dead on my property.

All I can say is wow! This is one helluva machine fellas. If you are considering getting one then let this persuade ya. Felled a 20' palm in about 10 minutes all sliced and diced as well into 2' chunks. This thing isnt even close to being broken in and already has plenty of power. Gotta go for now but will post back after I use it some more. As for now im all :D :D :D

lawnmaniac883 said:
Well, got my saw and have already taken down a good sized palm that was dead on my property.

All I can say is wow! This is one helluva machine fellas. If you are considering getting one then let this persuade ya. Felled a 20' palm in about 10 minutes all sliced and diced as well into 2' chunks. This thing isnt even close to being broken in and already has plenty of power. Gotta go for now but will post back after I use it some more. As for now im all :D :D :D

Good choice. The 361 is a pretty sweet saw.

Well I have to disagree with the pack on this subject. "A" 361 is barely acceptable. But, two of them is just about right. :laugh: :laugh:

Back