MS 361 spark arresting screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAYINTOMBALL

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems my spark arresting screen on my 361 decided to leave the muffler without letting me know. Don't know when it left but was wondering if it hurts running without one. Plan to get a new one but haven't made it to Stihl dealer. Yeah I did a search and didn't find the answer. Search tool and I don't always get along to well.LOL Thanks in advance.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Loss of the spark screen may result in more air flow and require the carb to be retuned, otherwise, it won't hurt your saw.

In many parts of the western U.S. a spark screen is required to operate a saw on public lands.

The way the spark screen is in the 361 it is not near as restrictive as the funnel in the basket of junk inside the muffler, so I don't think it would affet the running of the saw one way or the other.

Good point though on the public lands regs.

If you want to see how a spark screen works, hold a bic lighter flame under one and it will stop the flame. As far as sparks, seen bigger sparks come off the bar and chain than out of the muffler.

Last edited:
If you want to see how a spark screen works, hold a bic lighter flame under one and it will stop the flame. As far as sparks, seen bigger sparks come off the bar and chain than out of the muffler.

Copy on the sparks off of the bar and chain. Not certain the lighter test makes sense. The screen may be effective to a point, I was being sarcastic. It's effectiveness is about stopping tiny embers from becoming big fires. The exhaust effect on the lighter is more like blowing out a match. Removing fuel, heat, or oxygen from the fire.

Try the bic lighter on a spark screen, it is pretty neat. flame will not pass through, but if ignited again above the screen you get flame above and below.

Latest posts

Back