Ms 361 Wow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt they will be that easy to find since the saw just came out. I have been looking on ebay for one that way I could send it to be done for the 361 and the 440 but the prices go to high to quick.

DanManofStihl said:
Hey gumneck I will do you one better if you want to come out to my house or me to come out to yours you can cut some wood with it. fishhuntcutwood I sent you a pm I would love to buy your modded muffler that would work out great.

Dan, tks for the invite. I was being nosey about the saw. I'm not in the market for one, If I bought another saw (especially a new one) right now I would have to pay a lawyer to protect my half in divorce proceedings. And half of a little is not alot.
I may take down some pine this weekend. If your woodless and dying to put the saw into some I'll PM ya.

DanManofStihl said:
...The only thing bad was I hit a piece of rebar in log that totally messed my chain up. I sharpened it then I hit a piece of cable that was on the underside of the log where I couldn't see because of the way it was sitting on top of the pile. I probably need to break down and take it in and get it professonaly sharpened.

It sounds like you need to break down and clean up your wood pile! :laugh: What kind of wood were you cutting that you hit rebar AND cable in the same pile? That chain has been through hell. I'd take it to a dealer and have them clean it up for you. If it's as messed up as I'd guess that it is, fixing that chain with a hand fill would be a chore.

I got your PM. PM'd ya back.

Jeff

SawTroll said:
I know other people that use up to 24" Rollomatic ES with skip chain, with good results in soft wood. Balance can not be good though, with that quite heavy setup on the light powerhead.......

He's referring to me of course! I do run this set up, and it works well for me. The saw does carry a bit nose down, but not as much as you'd expect. And once the saw is in the back cut, balance doesn't matter. And the saw with an opened muffler pulls the 24" through soft wood nicely.

Jeff

I am going to take the chain in this weekend and get it done up right. I hit it with on of the electric hand grinders but it is cutting at an angle. One of the teeth is shorther then the others now so I guess that is the problem. We got the wood in from a land clearer it was in a neighborhood. It looked like good wood till I got cutting on it. I wish I had used an old chain on it now.

I have a MS390 that I was happy as hell with untill I started reading about the MS361. I was wondering if there is that big a difference in the way the 2 saws cut .

We have the older 039 at work and that thing is a dog compare to the ms 361. Not trying to brag about the saw but it really does put it to shame. If you have a ms 390 don't use the 361 because you will not want to go back. I used it them bought a ms 290 and it was a huge let down. I had to sell the ms 290 and buy the 361. I love this saw it will defiently be my new firewood saw.

Thanks for the welcome DMS. I have a 026 and have used 2 036s and thought my MS390 cut as quick . They all had sharp chains . Any ideas what the difference is between the 036 and the MS361

DanManofStihl said:
We have the older 039 at work and that thing is a dog compare to the ms 361. Not trying to brag about the saw but it really does put it to shame. If you have a ms 390 don't use the 361 because you will not want to go back. I used it them bought a ms 290 and it was a huge let down. I had to sell the ms 290 and buy the 361. I love this saw it will defiently be my new firewood saw.

Dan, did you ever think of putting a 20" on your 440 for firewood? Just curious.

Ted

jlaplant said:
I have a MS390 that I was happy as hell with untill I started reading about the MS361. I was wondering if there is that big a difference in the way the 2 saws cut .

The MS361, which I have never used, is one of the most popular saws among the Stihl fans on this site. The MS390 is considered to be a "homeowner" saw.

I have looked at the 361 and held it and wanted to buy it but that is only because I'am a saw nut...really don't need the thing as long as my old JonnyRed does the heavy work which which comes seldom.

The same story goes for the MS 290 vs. MS 260...260 has much better power to weight ratio. All true but unless you are a pro the only reason to buy a NEW pro saw is if you are a chainsaw nut. If it was my choice I would stick with the 390 if it is doing the job for you. If you really need a bigger saw for felling and bucking that the 390 then look at the MS 460! This would give you a distinctively different level of performance.

460Ted said:
Dan, did you ever think of putting a 20" on your 440 for firewood? Just curious.

Ted

Yes I have had a 20 inch bar and chain on that I now run a 24 inch bar and chain that way I will not have to make two cuts on the firewood logs. I have a 20 inch bar on my 066 magnum and that thing will tear it up in the wood.

jlaplant said:
Thanks for the welcome DMS. I have a 026 and have used 2 036s and thought my MS390 cut as quick . They all had sharp chains . Any ideas what the difference is between the 036 and the MS361

I know there was a supposedly a big power improvement between the 036 and the 361, the 361 is worth having where a lot of people didn't really care for the 036.

The anti-vibe may be improved too, I am not sure.

Why do people nock the 036 so badly? I picked up a used one for $100 and I am quite suprized how well it cuts with an 18 in bar. The thing just screams thru wood...I expect it to be on the same performance levels of an 029. This would be base on all the negative press the 036 is given here at the Arborist Site.

If I had to knock the performance of a Stihl saw.....it would have to be the 026. Its just over rated with regards to performance..... Thoughts?

WoodTick007 said:
Why do people nock the 036 so badly? I picked up a used one for $100 and I am quite suprized how well it cuts with an 18 in bar. The thing just screams thru wood...I expect it to be on the same performance levels of an 029. This would be base on all the negative press the 036 is given here at the Arborist Site.

If I had to knock the performance of a Stihl saw.....it would have to be the 026. Its just over rated with regards to performance..... Thoughts?

I probably should have stated more clearly that this is what I've heard, I have never picked up an 036, and there are a few people on here who love theirs. There are a lot that don't care for them though. I am pretty sure I remember that there was a rated horsepower increase between 036 and 361 though. I really like my 361 but would not be really happy with a whole lot less power...

But yes, I'm guilty of repeating with no actual experience.. Sorry!

I think the 036, specifically the "pro" and/or MS360 were the best mid size saws made... I owned one until recently, have repaired/rebuilt many and they just keep on running day in day out. Yes, the Antivibe and air cleaning system is better on the 361, but I'm not sure it really is a vastly better saw; just a evolution over the 036...

I now own a 361, love it, but...

CNYCountry said:
..... I am pretty sure I remember that there was a rated horsepower increase between 036 and 361 though. I really like my 361 but would not be really happy with a whole lot less power...
The 361 has a very different engine construction and slightly less cc, compared to the 036/360
As I recall the rated max power output was not increased much, if at all, but the 361 has been reported to have a wider usable power band.

Over here 036, 360 and 361 all has been rated at 3.4 kW/4.6 hp.
Testing by DLG/KWF has showed 3.3 kW for the 036 and 360, and 3.4 kW for the 361.

Latest posts

Back