ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, nothing like running into a Husky lover with a 361!

A year old? He lied. They quit making them 5 years ago in the US. They were not listed in the 2009 catalog. I bought some of the last ones here for $550 on sale. They were liquidating the inventory to make room for the new 362, which pales in comparison in my view. I started the 361 Group on the old AS site, BTW. I am a big fan.

I figured it was more then a year old but it didn't look like it had much use. It will not ever see the chicken coop again ! I keep all my saws in my shop.

I think I should get first dibs on buying it when you sell it once you get that guys better running 460. I was the first one to tell you that you suck after all.(before I even saw the picture of that like new best stihl saw ever). sh__ __ op, even saw troll loves the 361.

The 361 is not a 70 cc saw, and stock it will not really run with one. My stock 361s did not keep up with my 044 nor does it cut with my 441 now. But I could not mod a 310 and keep up with a stock 361. It has a tad less torque but more speed/revs than an 036. The 038av is similar in that it has more torque, but not the speed/revs of a 361. Of course the 361 is way lighter than an 038, and waaaaay smoother (spring loaded AV). The 361 also has quad ports. Big plus over either the 036/360 or the 038. I have never run a Husky 61... and that is a homeowner saw which a 361 will likely beat, but I have not run one so cannot say. The 361 is a pro saw and compares better to the 262xp and is what Stihl came out with to run against that saw.

The other comparison I can make for running a 361 against a 440 or an 036 is the AV. I can run a 361 all day and not get very tired. If I ran the 044 all day I was wiped out. Big reason I traded my 044 for a 441. The 036 is better than the 044 but it still has way more vibration than the 361.

The Troll loves the EU version of the 361. He is still a snob when it comes to the (paraphrasing here) "inferior" US model.

thanks WTHN, I have few hours on any saw less than 70cc. my 044s are getting old and I hate to ride um on a skidder any more. I do not like the feel of the 441 nor am I a fan of spring mounts. but this 361 may be a compromise.

Well, the 361 does not cut like the 440 or the 441. Not quite the rubber feel of the 044 or the 461, but not the rocking horse of the 441. If you are used to a 70cc saw the 361 will be a letdown in terms of power. I know some loggers that were not thrilled with them that were used to 440s. They mostly flipped to 372 or 460 saws when the 440 was discontinued. Few liked the 441. You can get the 361 modified ($250 plus shipping) and it will rip the 044 a new one. Or you can go with the 461 which they left unsprung for the very reason that you mention; the feel. The 461 has way better AV than the 460 (about the same as the 440) and the same power as the 460 (or muffler modded 440). 361s are hard to find any more around here, and they rarely come up on CL any more. As it turns out, they were a short production run saw, though they are still being made in Brazil.

I do the falling with a 660 or 460/461. just needing something to ride on a skidder to top pine or bump a few limbs off big hardwood. seems smaller pro saws are falling by the wayside. we bought a 310 plastic handle and promptly sold it.

Well, for that stuff the 361 will be fine. All white plastic and metal, runs better than a 310. Way smoother and lighter and more nimble than a 461. For what you are looking for, I use a modified 026 for. Small, light, top trees, limb, and thin with. The 361 is a nice all-around saw for me, for falling medium stuff (up to 24 inch DBH, 100 ft. tall), thinning, topping, limbing, and firewood cutting. Bigger falling I reach for the 441. Most of my falling here is smaller hardwoods and medium conifers, but I came across some old growth firs and cedars last year that were 5 ft DBH. Guy wanted them decked for a lawn. Go figure. I am burning that stuff now.

burning it?!?!?!? call a self loader lol. JK, I know y'all use conifers for wood.

I tried to talk the owner into salvaging the logs, but they wanted no part of it. Insurance, a spendy house in a really exclusive hood, nope. Also most if it was pacific silver fir, which is a trash species here. The cedars were western red cedars, a good value wood, but they were old growth and hollow, so there was not much to salvage there in terms of logs. And hey, when they are giving me free fire wood, I am not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. I just fired up the saws and went to work.

I bought a new old stock 361 last December. I ended up flipping the saw, so I never got to run it.

My curiosity got the best of me a few months ago and I picked up a used ms361 on ebay. I cleaned it up, vac/pressure tested and went through it. She's blowin 165psi of comp. I was very impressed when I ran the old girl. Couldnt get over how good it cut in some 18-20 logs.

Cylinder is also different. It has slightly more power than the US version. Maybe a tenth of a horse or two.

IPL shows only 1 cylinder any idea where I might find that part number. I have a 361 that needs a cylinder so this might be an interesting project

thanks WTHN, I have few hours on any saw less than 70cc. my 044s are getting old and I hate to ride um on a skidder any more. I do not like the feel of the 441 nor am I a fan of spring mounts. but this 361 may be a compromise.

My step dad used to carry an 036 for a skidder saw ,think it had a 25 or 28 inch bar on it ,worked good for what you are describing ,i got the saw from him as a hand me down and it felt like a light 044 ,i ran a 361 ,it may have a little more power than the 036 ,you may run one see if you like the springs ,the one i ran the engine bounced all over at idle and it felt like i was cutting with a slinky saw ,not as solid as the rubber mounts i was used to

Latest posts

Back