MS 362- would an 18 inch bar be an improvement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. The only difference would be handling and/or reach. Its amazing how long a 20" bar can feel sometimes. I think 18 is gong to be perfect for the 6100. The 20" on it now will be going on the 120si when i get it finished.

Yes it does. With the funky spike on the 6100 I only have 18" of useable bar space anyways lol. I got one of the euro style spike bars from 166 and that will on go on with the new bar. I have a total super bar on the 7900 which i really really like.

I think the bar length you like depends on what you are cutting and what size you are. For general stuff, I really like a 20" bar, I'm just thinking of maybe going with a lighter wt one, but I don't want a shorter one.

But each person should choose what is comfortable to them.

I often use the 24" bar for bucking. At times, I wish the bar were longer, but at other times I pull it from a cut and I'm glad it is not longer.

I plan on keeping 4 saws, but will likely put a longer bar on one in the future. Right now, I have 2 with 20" and 2 w 24". I want to keep 2 with 20" , but will likely put 24" & 28" on the other 2. I think a 28" bar will enable me to handle any thing that I encounter.

Funny that the comments regarding the 362 C having a better air filtration system have not been brought up before.

Really? It's no secret amongst those who run the huskies for work in harsh environments.
It's also not necessarily a big deal. It's no worse than just about every saw other than current stihl air injection/hd2 saws.

Husqvarna still sell these saws with a mesh filter in many markets and for an Aussie that's :dizzy:, but totally appropriate for cutting in the snow I'm told.

I have a 20" total super bar coming today for my 2260 but i like the 18" Tsumura light & tough thats on it right now

My 6100 only has 15" of cutting available wearing the 18" bar. The 362c has 17" of cutting available on it's 18". that's a big difference in wood you have to come in from both sides.

Next outing the 6100 will be wearing a 20".

My 6100 only has 15" of cutting available wearing the 18" bar. The 362c has 17" of cutting available on it's 18". that's a big difference in wood you have to come in from both sides.

Next outing the 6100 will be wearing a 20".

That's exactly why I am getting the different style spike bar. I will add pics of it and some measurements to my 6100 thread this weekend.

The point is to eliminate as many variables as possible, when doing comparisons. Specially the bars can make a lot of weight differense, even though they are the same length....

Though I agree with your observations, the point of a comparison should be to obtain useful information. IMO a weight comparison of PHOs between brands provides little useful information unless there is some significant difference. The weight of the clutch cover, fluid capacity, bar weight and chain length all impact the actual weight in useable form. Not to mention with respect to advertized weights, what constitutes PHO? Seems to me that there was some controversy many years ago in the industry over that very issue - maybe I dreamed it but I believe some advertised weights once excluded the handle bar and possibly other necessary items. The industry can't seem to even agree on bar length; I am not going to put much stock in their claimed weights without some definitive definitions.

In the mean time, I will agree that the 361 is the lightest of the three models I have but I would not describe it as significant much less "quite a bit heavier" in a ready to run form. I know you were speaking in context of PHO but ready to run is what we all use. For the most part I think much of the bickering about weight is at best pretty much an armchair academic exercise. Enough said on my part.

BTW I bought the 361 primarily based upon your assessment of the Euro version. I had it ported based upon reindeer's experience. I have no regrets for either decision. Keep up the good work. I appreciate it.

Ron

Really? It's no secret amongst those who run the huskies for work in harsh environments.
It's also not necessarily a big deal. It's no worse than just about every saw other than current stihl air injection/hd2 saws.

Husqvarna still sell these saws with a mesh filter in many markets and for an Aussie that's :dizzy:, but totally appropriate for cutting in the snow I'm told.
My new 2260 came with the black 80m filter:angry:

Back