MS 381 sees some action 'finally'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have seen pines less than 40 years old locally more than 800mm at waist height. I saw a california redwood 12 years old about 20 inches through at where I would cut it (lower than americans) (bout mid shin high,) and have seen similar trees that are more advanced per year in NZ.

How is the 381 not a pro saw? The 038 Mag it's based on is a legend, and is a pro saw in every way, despite being outdated.

The 038 was only ever a farm boss Brad and although they are better than the current crop of farmbosses they were not an044 which was a pro forestry saw of less ccs higher power output and lower weight. I agree the 038 was a good saw, but it suffered from inferior air filtration and excessive weight to power output in comparison to other stihl saws. This said however it was built in an era where stihl had a LOT of good saws such as the 048 the 034, and super, and when the 044 was a GUN of a saw. It was one of the generation after the 056,076, 090 av etc. that lasted and worked hard, but the 381 is not the same and really is only about 80% of what the old 038 was.

Whoa!!! That's crazy growth!!:msp_ohmy:

A 26" tree here, would be in the ballpark of 150-200 years old.

I was confused as to how you thought it was 12-14" diameter? :dizzy:

I cut at 6000'ish elevation in a semi-desert. hence the slow growth.

A 12 year tree here can be pulled out of the ground with your thumb and index finger.

here is another short video. Excuse the over excited kid and dog lol.

You can really hear it bogging in this vid and before you say it. The chain was sharpened right before I cut into this ring. I first thought maybe the chain was a little dull on the previous ring but didn't make a difference.

Macrocarpa is a pretty hard wood for NZ terms but nothing like what some of you have been cutting on here.

YouTube - ‪ms381‬‏

It's always harder on a saw cuttin' like that than crosscutting.

Saw sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Back