Ms 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr

ArboristSite Operative
Does anyone use this saw? Is is a good saw for a company who mostly does smaller removals (24" dbh or smaller is usually our size)? We are thinking about getting one, but I have never used, or talked to anyone who has used one.

Other saw sizes we currently have are 361, 310, 290 (2), 250 (2), and climbers. Any other choices you might have for a larger saw, but price is a concern. $550 would be about max.

P.S. it has to be Stihl

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'd buy another 361. It is more saw than the 390, save perhaps for its weight.

EDIT: Rereading your post, it is evident that you HAVE already used that saw - the MS290 and MS310. They're the same creature, the MS390 just has a hair more power than those two, althought it still falls short of the MS361.

Last edited:
GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
The 390 is the largest occasional user/homeowner saw Stihl makes. Skip it. If you already have a 361, either get another one or maybe step up to an 044, and run the Rollomatic 25" bar on it. You can get a good used 044 for under 400 bucks. I did.:)

Gary

emr

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for all of the posts, I think you all helped my decision. I would love to buy a used 44 or larger, but there are not places around here that sell saws that large used. I saw a used 44 up where I hunt and it was only $395 and looked to be in great shape. Since I am not the owner of a company, and my wife would have killed me, it is still for sale.

Magnum783

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
I never have used a 361 but do have a 390 it was my big saw for a while and I like it a lot but will say it is quite heavy. I do like it and have good luck with it but again I have not used a 361.
Jared

TDunk

TDunk

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd go for the 361 in a heartbeat. The 390 is good for the once a month user who babies it and cleans it after every use. The 361 is a PRO saw and can take a beating.

nilzlofgren

nilzlofgren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Everybody's right about the 361 being superior. But, if you found a 390 dirt cheap, don't be afraid to buy it. I use mine every weekend with no problems. Its a great saw for the weekend warrior. Yes its heavy but it is super reliable. It was 25 deg with wind chills in the single digits this weekend, and my saw was more than willing to fire up quickly and run all day.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you already have a 361 and looking for another big saw I would step on up.I can definately understand being on a budget,but I would go ahead and lay down a little extra money and buy a 440.The 361 is a great saw,and Stihl does call it a "pro" saw,but they just don't hold up as well in the long run as a 440 or 460.The bottom line is if you are cutting trees for a living and using your saws every day you really NEED a 440 or bigger.It will hold up longer and be more productive by far which will payoff big in the end.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
...and you're basing this info on what???:rolleyes:

Gary
Maybe they have changed it around a little since back when it was an 036,but several years back I bought two of them for my ground guys to use in place of the 44,and also we used it up in the tree for blocking big chunks.Mind you,that meant they were running every day sometimes nearly 60 hours a week.I had completely phased the 44 out I even used it for felling and bucking trees up to around 30 inches,and anything bigger than that I used the 066's for.Long story short,we get around two years out of a new 440,I just bought two of them back in November and the two they replaced were two and a half years old.They still ran but they were getting weak...With the 36's they lasted right at a year,but both of them needed clutches after around six months.One of them ended up breaking a crankshaft,the other I sold to one of my employee's.All of my guys wanted the 44 back when it was time to replace them.We pretty much all agreed that even though the 44 was heavier it took less effort and energy to run because it was more productive...But if Stihl has beefed up the saw since it became a 361,then forgive me

dingo

dingo

ArboristSite Guru
The 390 is the largest occasional user/homeowner saw Stihl makes. Skip it. If you already have a 361, either get another one or maybe step up to an 044, and run the Rollomatic 25" bar on it. You can get a good used 044 for under 400 bucks. I did.:)

Gary

We put about 10 to 12 hours a week on our 390. Man, I sure hope it doesn't find out it is not a professional:biggrinbounce2:

GASoline71

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
The 361 is not an 036 or 360. Different unit.

Exactly. The 036/360 doesn't even come close to the 361.

We put about 10 to 12 hours a week on our 390. Man, I sure hope it doesn't find out it is not a professional:biggrinbounce2:

Never said that it wasn't capable of workin' it's butt off. My little 028 is the same way. Never was a Pro saw... but it sure thinks it is!:)

Gary

TimberPig

TimberPig

ArboristSite Guru
Maybe they have changed it around a little since back when it was an 036,but several years back I bought two of them for my ground guys to use in place of the 44,and also we used it up in the tree for blocking big chunks.Mind you,that meant they were running every day sometimes nearly 60 hours a week.I had completely phased the 44 out I even used it for felling and bucking trees up to around 30 inches,and anything bigger than that I used the 066's for.Long story short,we get around two years out of a new 440,I just bought two of them back in November and the two they replaced were two and a half years old.They still ran but they were getting weak...With the 36's they lasted right at a year,but both of them needed clutches after around six months.One of them ended up breaking a crankshaft,the other I sold to one of my employee's.All of my guys wanted the 44 back when it was time to replace them.We pretty much all agreed that even though the 44 was heavier it took less effort and energy to run because it was more productive...But if Stihl has beefed up the saw since it became a 361,then forgive me

It sounds to me more like you expected too much of it and worked it harder than you should have. You expected it to do the work of an 044 where the 044 was the right tool for the job. The 036 was too light for the application and wore out prematurely because it was overworked. Try running an 044 in wood that demands an 066 and you'd likely find a similar story there as well.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
The 361 is not an 036 or 360. Different unit.

Maybe so... but on terms of what timberhauler was talking about, they are pretty much identical. The 036/360 is actually more robust in some ways - flywheel for example..

I'm with Timberpig on this...

The 036/360 can take it all day for years if not abused. Of couse, if it was used 60 hours a week, that's 3000 hours in a year... then it is due for a rebuild...

Diesel JD

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
I like my 390 a lot. It makes chips just fine with up to a 24" ES bar and full comp. chain. The 28" and full comp was too much, would probably be ok with full skip as long as teh bar isn't buried. It now wears a 12" bow guide which is like a light saber. It has plenty of power for the 16" bow I am sending to Stihl 041s, but the oiler seems to have a hard time keeping up with it, which is why i went smaller. I am an occaisonal user/semi-pro firewood cutter. A 390 is a great saw for what I do. if I ever got into any tree cutting business fuill time I would keep the 390 0n but I'd also get a 440/441 or older Stihl 038 Magnum. The 361 is a sweet saw but it seems like most heree run it with a 20" bar or shorter. I bet it runs a 25" at least as well as the 390. It has a few less ccs than the 390, but .1 more bar horse power. It is also easily and economicallyrebuildable whereas like most "non professional" Stihls, the MS390 is supposedly quite a project to overhaul. Good luck with your work and whatever you guys purchase.

Timberhauler

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Maybe so... but on terms of what timberhauler was talking about, they are pretty much identical. The 036/360 is actually more robust in some ways - flywheel for example..

I'm with Timberpig on this...

The 036/360 can take it all day for years if not abused. Of couse, if it was used 60 hours a week, that's 3000 hours in a year... then it is due for a rebuild...

60 hour weeks are rare,but they do happen from time to time..Figure an 8 hour day,the saw is probably actually being used from 4 to 6 actual hours,and they were well maintained.We had 20 inch bars on those saws,we did use them on some decent sized wood,but not often,that is why we had the 066's.At least75 percent of that they were used for was cutting stuff so it would fit through the chipper.They were not abused.They were used to cut stuff stightly larger than the guide bar,but it wasn't often.

Latest posts