ms 391. i have a feeling this was a bad purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not every home owner needs a pro-grade saw. I know the 290/390 and now the 291/391 are looked down upon because they're not sexy pro-grade saws with big dawgs and wrap handles, but they have a place in the market. My stepmom has been running an 029 for 15 years cutting around three cords of wood a year, and that saw still has a lot of life left in it. And this is a woman who was married to a pro timber faller for 22 years.

As already mentioned- a sharp chain and high quality gas/oil mix will take a person a long way. Ed will work some magic on that 391 and it will be a fine firewood saw.

You must be cutting big stuff to run a 25" all the time. We cut right at 400 cord this year for our firewood business and run a 25" less than 20% of the time. Our 660 and 460 is the only saws we run 25" bars on, the 044,038 and 361 are either set up with 18" or 20" bars.
I run a muffler modded 361 that is the pro equivalent in hp to the 391 and I would never expect it to rip with a 25" bar, don't care how sharp or what kind of chain you are running unless you spend the bucks to have it modded by a good porter it's just not going to happen. If your dead set on running a 25" bar get you a 70cc saw.
I wouldn't go ripping limiters and muffler modding it if you plan trying to get your dealer to work with you.
Arrowhead can help you out in a big way, but don't expect miracles a 60cc saw has it's limitations.
A 391 is a great saw for the guy cutting his own firewood, should last a lifetime if taken care of.

I agree with you on that if somebody takes time to take care of the saw, it will last for a long time. My 044 was built in 98 and it has been used a lot in its lifetime but always made sure it has a sharp chain, cleaned the inside sprocket cover. As for the 32 inch bar I use it for cutting down the bigger trees around here, It usually wears the 20 in bar, but it can wear the 32 if I want it to lol.

just an update. i went up to eds and he did the muffler mod and retune, and cant wait to get it into some wood. im going to leave this saw alone and work it as long as it will go.

Latest posts

Back