ms 391. i have a feeling this was a bad purchase.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take the saw to Arrowhead and let him work it over then show you different chains and what not. You just wont be getting your saw modded, im sure you will gain alot of knowledge from him as well. Plus, im sure he would do quality work, this is the route id take.

I would take the saw to Arrowhead and let him work it over then show you different chains and what not. You just wont be getting your saw modded, im sure you will gain alot of knowledge from him as well. Plus, im sure he would do quality work, this is the route id take.

I agree :rock: Go talk to some one wiser when you know not the answer :help::wink2:

Motomix looks like some good stuff other than the price. Its straight gas(no ethanol) and Stihl Ultra premixed at 50-1. Place I work at just bought two new FS90 weedeaters and he put moto in one and ethanol in the other. He didnt adjust anything different on them carb wise. :msp_wink:
The Motomix fuel we get here is premixed alkylate fuel - but it smells really bad when used, unlike the Aspen premixed alkylate.....

well thats the route im going to take. me and arrowhead are going to hook up and do some modifying. and yes the motomix smells like @$$ raw. not too bad though burnt. as long as everything stays nice and clean and clean burning ill continue to burn it. although 9.00 a quart is rather steep. whats everyone else getting it for?

well thats the route im going to take. me and arrowhead are going to hook up and do some modifying. and yes the motomix smells like @$$ raw. not too bad though burnt. as long as everything stays nice and clean and clean burning ill continue to burn it. although 9.00 a quart is rather steep. whats everyone else getting it for?
dealer cost on the stuff is 7.32 here

I baught two new Stihl MS391's two months ago. I got one with a 20" bar for my father inlaw since he has been using a old Homelite XL1 chainsaw he baught from a pawn shop for years. He loves the saw and his buddies loved the saw so 3 days later I went and picked up myself one but dealer offered me a 25" bar and chain upgrade for $10 more so I took the deal. The MS391 does pull a 25 inch bar just fine. Mine has the Rollomatic ES bar which is a bit more heavy than the Rollomatic E and the ES bar tips down a bit unlike the 20 inch bar that doesnt tip forward. Im happy with my purchase considering this is my first chainsaw I have ever baught or even used so I didnt want to jump to a Pro saw till I got more experience. We use our saw to cut firewood. We cut mostly Pinion and Ceder and the saw as everyone who tries it out saw cuts like butter. I will say I am going to buy a 20 inch bar or maybe a 18 inch bar also because besides just looking cool I really dont have much need to run a 25 inch bar besides it making it easier bucking wood sometimes because I dont have to bend down to buck wood.

I too am thinking of going to either a semi skip or full skip chain but dont know which one to get. rigth now I run non-safety full comp chisel chain and my father in law runs semi chisel. His 20 inch bar with semi chisel chain does cut faster than mine does.

My saw isnt broken in yet but I already can tell a difference with performance with usage already and im only going through my third tank full. These saws do have awesome fuel economy. Also was worried about my 25 inch bar being to much for the chain oiler since I have my oiler turned up all the way and it doesnt throw chain oil at all but so far the chain aint burning up.

The air filter looks cheap but works good cause even though the inside of the sprocket cover is full of crap the filter still looks new.

I too would like to muffler mod it too once it is broken in and the manuel lists the spark plug to use as either a Bosch or NGK. The plug thats in it when i baught it is a Bosch and I believe the Bosch one is suppressed and the NGK is not. I have really good results from using NGK plugs in my truck and was wondering what the difference would be performance wise on the Stihl..

Last edited:
i generally only have a couple of smaller saws that dont get used too awful much just the occasional storm cleanup and a few loads of firewood a year. anyways a couple weeks ago we had a few windy days and i lost a largish tree roughly 23 in dia. none of the other saws i have were big enough and id been wanting to get a bigger one for a while i just hadnt done my research.............. needless to say i went to the local powershop and the biggest he had is the ms 391 so i picked it up and have proboably ran 2 gal of fuel total through it and dont have any complaints other that i was expecting more power. is there anything i can do such as muffler upgrades? ive only ran the moto mix in it, could it need richened up a tad? its still at factory specs on the carbs. or is this thing just a pile and i should go trade it in and get a 440 or 460? btw the guy told me it was out of the pro line up...typical salesman.
I would take it back, demand a full-refund for lying to you, (not a pro saw), and get the 460. The sting of spending the extra money will fade, the pleasure of using such a fine saw will be experienced every time you run it.

I would take it back, demand a full-refund for lying to you, (not a pro saw), and get the 460. The sting of spending the extra money will fade, the pleasure of using such a fine saw will be experienced every time you run it.

+1
compared to the 391, the 460's gonna run like a ringtailed wildcat

And its only double the price. No big deal, lol. J/K with you.

Thats pretty much why i went with the 391, didnt want or need to pay the premium for a Pro saw and the comparable pro model is like .2HP more than the 391. I figure I can get a MM to make up for the .2HP difference and still be below the cost of the pro model.

I was reading about the Australian dual port muffler for some of stihl saws. Do they make one for the 391?
I was just wondering if the dual port is as good or not as doing the mod yourself?

well ive come to the conclusion that i do need to run the 25" bar. i have a 440 evl with a 16" for the smaller stuff. im meeting up with arrowhead and he is going to mod the muffler and retune it. im really looking forward to the results. i might look into porting in the future to squeeze some more out of it. but i will see what the results of the muffler mod bring untail i save up some cash for a 660:rock:. untail then im going to rock the 391

You must be cutting big stuff to run a 25" all the time. We cut right at 400 cord this year for our firewood business and run a 25" less than 20% of the time. Our 660 and 460 is the only saws we run 25" bars on, the 044,038 and 361 are either set up with 18" or 20" bars.
I run a muffler modded 361 that is the pro equivalent in hp to the 391 and I would never expect it to rip with a 25" bar, don't care how sharp or what kind of chain you are running unless you spend the bucks to have it modded by a good porter it's just not going to happen. If your dead set on running a 25" bar get you a 70cc saw.
I wouldn't go ripping limiters and muffler modding it if you plan trying to get your dealer to work with you.
Arrowhead can help you out in a big way, but don't expect miracles a 60cc saw has it's limitations.
A 391 is a great saw for the guy cutting his own firewood, should last a lifetime if taken care of.

Max bar ?

25" is good all purpose length good for falling and bucking. I see 391's in my area wearin 28" bars now that is over doing it. longer bars are less taxing on the body then short bars.

Hillbilly, your not in the land of big saws and short bars, it is very apparent you know little about cutting firewood in our area. Based on your thread last night were you had your falling technique's absolutely crucified by true fallers from your own area I don't need the advice. The last three years have seen over a 1000 cord sold from our firewood business, and yes I've run 390 stihls, they are a good saw, absolutely not one I would run a 25" bar on in hardwood all the time though. I may not have a 50 year old pair of boots like those that you posted about, but I've been cutting wood for right at 35 years. Seeing a 32" bar in this country is a rarity, the biggest most dealers stock in my area is a 25".

I never

Hey now blasting someone aint cool. I said the 24" bar was easier on the body and nothing more. I have cut oak with a short bar and it kills your back after a couple hours.

Latest posts

Back