ms 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) The problem with buying the 391 has nothing to do with the saw itself, it probably would be a great saw. The problem will be that you're hanging around here!:):) If you are trying to make this choice, you really want the pro saw and you won't be satisfied no matter how good that 391 is. Just spend the money for the pro saw. It will be cheaper in the long run:greenchainsaw: The reason I say this is 'cause it cost me a ton of money that I wouldn't have had to spend:chainsaw: I did have a lot of fun on the way though:clap:
PS I started out with a MS 390

Last edited:
The pro saw lets you have the ability to say I bought the pro saw. We've ran midrange saws as long and sometimes longer than pro saws. I haven't had the chance but I would be willing to bet that the 391 would outcut the cherished 361 given the new strato design. The problem with the 391 is it's a 60cc saw that weighs in with a 440. Normally I could care less about weight since I do use a 372 the way most guys would use a 361 so if I gotta hang in a tree with a 14lb powerhead I might as well have the power to go with it. But to the OP I understand the extra $125 as well which is why there are better choices by stihl and husky. As much as people on here seem to dislike the 390 for the money it would be a better choice and they are still plentiful. The 391 is actually the only new saw stihl has made that I don't agree with so far. Just my opinion.

I've got a 390. Predecessor to the 391 I know but I have cut a ton of wood with that saw. Run some RSC chain on it, keep the air filter clean, the chain sharp and you will have no problems. I got a 440 as well but most of the time I grab the 390 even though it weighs about the same for general firewoodin'. The new design of the 391 is supposed to be even better yet but I have no experience with one.

I've got a 390. Predecessor to the 391 I know but I have cut a ton of wood with that saw. Run some RSC chain on it, keep the air filter clean, the chain sharp and you will have no problems. I got a 440 as well but most of the time I grab the 390 even though it weighs about the same for general firewoodin'. The new design of the 391 is supposed to be even better yet but I have no experience with one.

I actually like the 390 with a 20" bar. Buddy of mine has one and it really is a good saw for the money but a 25" just wears it out in a hurry. A crew I do some work with runs a 310 for their blocking saw and it's been in service for 5 years now and just keeps cutting. Point is obviuosly they don't make bigger saws in middle of the road but alot of tree services you'll find the middle class saws for the mid power needs. If they break you buy new and thats that, but they usually don't. I'll put a video up if I get time of my 270 with a muff mod and 18" outcutting my 260 with an 16" and the same mod and the 270 has cut alot of wood thus far.

I actually like the 390 with a 20" bar. Buddy of mine has one and it really is a good saw for the money but a 25" just wears it out in a hurry. A crew I do some work with runs a 310 for their blocking saw and it's been in service for 5 years now and just keeps cutting. Point is obviuosly they don't make bigger saws in middle of the road but alot of tree services you'll find the middle class saws for the mid power needs. If they break you buy new and thats that, but they usually don't. I'll put a video up if I get time of my 270 with a muff mod and 18" outcutting my 260 with an 16" and the same mod and the 270 has cut alot of wood thus far.

I run a 20" bar on mine. It pulls it just fine. I have a new ES bar to replace the E when it finally wears out. The nose on it is starting to show signs that its been used.

Something must be wrong with my 390 because it doesn't have a problem with the 25" bar. I just let the saw do the work& don't lean on it like a fat guy on a shopping cart.

I really like my 390, for the most part really. True it is a bit on the porky side. But if all You're gonna do is Buck firewood with it, then it will be fine. But if you were using it from everything from felling to limbing on firewood, it WOULD wear you out after a full day!
But she is a pretty torquey ol' gal. with a 25" bar running Sthil round chisel I can lean on it pretty good and she just keeps on grunting.

Good luck with your choice.

Murf

Halv a kg extra have to come from somewhere - it doesn't come out of thin air, and it isn't a minor difference. :givebeer:

It's easy Saw Troll, there is MUCH more metal required to cast a strato cylinder than a conventional two stroke cylinder. Then add a couple AV springs, a 2 barrel carb, and there's your extra half kilo.

Most people, myself included, push pro saw design on this site. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 290/310/390 design of saws. They will get the job done day in day out with proper care just like any other saw. If I were cutting just for myself or family I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. This design will last most people a lifetime. They are excellent firewood saws.
Although I haven't run a 391, I imagine that the improvements they have made are well worth the added weight. The strato designed saw we have uses less fuel than it similar sized non-strato counter part.
If your on a budget, don't let the naysayers persuade you differently, a 390/391 will be a heck of a firewood saw. The 361 is my favorvite firewood saw, the 390 will cut right with them if muffler modded. You should be able to handle a 20" bar with no issues and if the need every rises you can throw on a 24/25 incher and get by.

Most people, myself included, push pro saw design on this site. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 290/310/390 design of saws. They will get the job done day in day out with proper care just like any other saw. If I were cutting just for myself or family I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. This design will last most people a lifetime.

What he said. :clap:

This thread may well spawn an "MS390 CLUB" thread. Us 390 series owners are constantly under attack, much like israel(390 owners) being bombarded by palestinians(pro saw owners who insist that theirs is the only true way&everything else must be destroyed.)

This thread may well spawn an "MS390 CLUB" thread. Us 390 series owners are constantly under attack, much like israel(390 owners) being bombarded by palestinians(pro saw owners who insist that theirs is the only true way&everything else must be destroyed.)

Does a POS Poulan, posing as a Partner, qualify for membership? :yoyo:

Does a POS Poulan, posing as a Partner, qualify for membership? :yoyo:

What you muslims seem to insist is that you yourselves are so weak; and cut for so long each day, that 1 pound destroys the goal. I have to say in that case that I feel sorry for you. I do not suffer from weakness or back trouble, but paincow knows how annoying back paincow or weaknesscow can be.
So don't fret. Just relax and know that no matter how much it annoys you, that homeowners across the globe have monumental woodpiles that refuse to quit thanks to the mighty MS390. If it troubles you to lift it I wish you all the luck in the world with your health. We all get old and weak eventually. Maybe in 25 years we'll be on the same page. I have an open mind.

I bought a ms 391 a few months ago I dont like it the power is not there at all it has a catalytic converter on it which as we all know robs lots of power in cars and trucks so what do you think is going to happen to a saw? it makes it way more heavy than a 390 and I dont know about that fuel savings they are talking about but min eats fuel like crazy. I also have a 034 with around 300 ;lus hours on it with the same bar and chain as the 391 and it eats oak like crazy tears through it like butter and it is all stock. ( bar and chain on them both is a 24" full house chisel bit stihl chain ) I personally will buy nothing more than older saws and keep rebuilding them but that is me. My friends husky 268 has the same size engine as the 391 and his saw out cuts the 391 any day I took it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it it still needs broken in. Ihave ran 5 gallons of fuel through it still under powered compared to the 034.

Latest posts

Back