Ms 440 sprocket problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike104

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've got an ms 440. Just bought it off a guy, and the rim sprocket is super worn. So I went to remove it, and the e clip is recessed inside a spacer. On most of my other saws you can just put it right out with a screwdriver. But on this one the e clip is recessed in that little groove and you can't remove. I've tried grabbing it with a pair of pliers, prying it off with screwdrivers and I can't seem to get it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

Attachments

• 20210418_002641.jpg
    20210418_002641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210418_002637.jpg
    20210418_002637.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
Has the washer got any "float"?
It shouldn't be super tight against the drum.
That's as tight against the drum as I can get it. And usually I pop them right out with a flathead, unfortunately on this one it's still a little pound of the e clip.

If you think getting it out of there is hard, just wait until when you need to get a fresh clip back in there (wear eye protection)

Getting them out is usually fairly easy once you resort to ye ol' flathead. Also, it probably won't come out in a re-usable condition, so make sure you have a few spare ones...

If the saw was redone incorrectly, the crank can be a bit tight on the PTO side, or the wrong clutch/spacer/worm gear on that side.

Ive had saws like that with the recessed E clip that were a nightmare to get off. On a saw with correct spacing they come out quite easily with a tuning screwdriver.

Make sure it doesn’t have an AM clutch or drum. Also, makes sure oiler worm gear is engaged in slot and that drum isn’t the deeper MS360 drum (will say 1125 on it instead of 1128).

I've had trouble removing them if the clutch haa backed off a little with that washer type.
A carb adjustment screwdriver should fix that ,but as stated just give her the strong hand approach and have a spare on hand.
I've basically completely rounded over the c clip that holds it in place. I've never had this much trouble with one of these. On my 028 and 045 it pops right off. On this saw its a different story. And the clutch does say 1128.

I've had trouble removing them if the clutch haa backed off a little with that washer type.
A carb adjustment screwdriver should fix that ,but as stated just give her the strong hand approach and have a spare on hand.
It's still on there and I have a multi-piece carb adjustment screwdriver now.

Will it spin? Is it possible someone crazy glued it?
Well I have used a hook type pick before also (broke the pick and the clip went flying off!
If you have a stout AWL you could position it in the voids of the clip and gently smack it piss out of it with a small ball peen hammer.

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up hitting it with a cold chisel and breaking it up into about 5 pieces. I just bought this saw and was doing maintenance on it for my first use. And it looks like this guy must've run it with the brake on or something. The bearing has a plastic cage that was melted and was taking up the space where the c clip went. And the plastic around the case is a little discolored too. Now I gotta figure out if I have to replace the clutch. And he left the rim sprocket go for some long that it even started to wear into the clutch drum. 20210418_180636.jpg20210418_180236.jpg20210418_175913.jpg20210418_175525.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up hitting it with a cold chisel and breaking it up into about 5 pieces. I just bought this saw and was doing maintenance on it for my first use. And it looks like this guy must've run it with the brake on or something. The bearing has a plastic cage that was melted and was taking up the space where the c clip went. And the plastic around the case is a little discolored too. Now I gotta figure out if I have to replace the clutch. And he left the rim sprocket go for some long that it even started to wear into the clutch drum. View attachment 902030View attachment 902027View attachment 902028View attachment 902029
Wow, that`s a mess but your clutch still looks usable, no broken springs and the holes where the spring ends hook into are not cut deep into the clutch shoes.

I've basically completely rounded over the c clip that holds it in place. I've never had this much trouble with one of these. On my 028 and 045 it pops right off. On this saw its a different story. And the clutch does say 1128.
Put 2 small screwdrivers in the groves and twist both together at the same time it will pop right out.

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up hitting it with a cold chisel and breaking it up into about 5 pieces. I just bought this saw and was doing maintenance on it for my first use. And it looks like this guy must've run it with the brake on or something. The bearing has a plastic cage that was melted and was taking up the space where the c clip went. And the plastic around the case is a little discolored too. Now I gotta figure out if I have to replace the clutch. And he left the rim sprocket go for some long that it even started to wear into the clutch drum. View attachment 902030View attachment 902027View attachment 902028View attachment 902029
Clutch and drum look usable, ie I've used them in similar shape.
I have found that a good amount of heat will weaken the springs a bit , I'd replace them? Or run first .
The plastic sheild should be pretty cheap to replace.
I bet the worm gear on the oiler is fubared though.
Fyi clutch is reversed thread if your not familiar.

Latest posts

Back