Ms 440 sprocket problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clutch and drum look usable, ie I've used them in similar shape.
I have found that a good amount of heat will weaken the springs a bit , I'd replace them? Or run first .
The plastic sheild should be pretty cheap to replace.
I bet the worm gear on the oiler is fubared though.
Fyi clutch is reversed thread if your not familiar.
The funny thing is I picked the saw up yesterday. And I didn't have the parts to fix it yet, so before I decided to chisel off the c clip I wanted to test it. And it ran mint, I cut a cookie off of a dead ash, the sprocket bearing didn't even make a noise. So i was shocked when I opened it up.

Clutch and drum look usable, ie I've used them in similar shape.
I have found that a good amount of heat will weaken the springs a bit , I'd replace them? Or run first .
The plastic sheild should be pretty cheap to replace.
I bet the worm gear on the oiler is fubared though.
Fyi clutch is reversed thread if your not
But that being said, the chain was still spinning at idle. So the clutch springs are probably fubar. I'll have to see if I can still get oem parts from my local stihl dealer for it.

But that being said, the chain was still spinning at idle. So the clutch springs are probably fubar. I'll have to see if I can still get oem parts from my local stihl dealer for it.
I think the melted clutch bearing caused the spinning at idle, not weak clutch springs.

I had this same issue with my 440. I wasn't paying attention and got the chain between the sprocket and clutch cover hub and started it. It broke the plastic bearings. I can remember using a wide flat head screwdriver and hammer. The rest of replacing was easy, but I remember the struggle to take that clip off..

I had this same issue with my 440. I wasn't paying attention and got the chain between the sprocket and clutch cover hub and started it. It broke the plastic bearings. I can remember using a wide flat head screwdriver and hammer. The rest of replacing was easy, but I remember the struggle to take that clip off..
Yeah. I ended up using a cold chisel and I cut the clip into three small little sections, and used a magnet to pull them out the rest of the way.

Yeah. I ended up using a cold chisel and I cut the clip into three small little sections, and used a magnet to pull them out the rest of the way.
441 is the exact same way just take two small stihl screw drivers is what I use and pop it right off, the e-clip will start rising towards you as it moves over the raised lip on the retaining washer. The 400 is same concept, but the retaining washer is not as deep as on the 441.

441 is the exact same way just take two small stihl screw drivers is what I use and pop it right off, the e-clip will start rising towards you as it moves over the raised lip on the retaining washer. The 400 is same concept, but the retaining washer is not as deep as on the 441.
Yeah that's what I usually do. But on this saw the bearing melted, and it pushed that retaining washer up. I didn't realize that until I had cut the the clip off though.

Springs for the clutch are readily available from any stihl dealer , if they claim to not be available find another dealer.
Its a good idea to change them out with just about any used stihl, and its cheap insurance that they won't come apart and reek havoc in there.

Yeah that's what I usually do. But on this saw the bearing melted, and it pushed that retaining washer up. I didn't realize that until I had cut the the clip off though.
I saw your pics little issues going on there for sure.
This is just me if I planned on keeping this saw and while I was ordering the cage bearing I would also replace the housing, brake band, clutch assy, sprocket assembly, oiler worm gear, and oil pump if it had any hint of heat on it.

Springs for the clutch are readily available from any stihl dealer , if they claim to not be available find another dealer.
Its a good idea to change them out with just about any used stihl, and its cheap insurance that they won't come apart and reek havoc in there.
Yeah. I just ordered a whole clutch assembly so I'm going to replace the whole thing, it's made the whole week without any problems though.

I saw your pics little issues going on there for sure.
This is just me if I planned on keeping this saw and while I was ordering the cage bearing I would also replace the housing, brake band, clutch assy, sprocket assembly, oiler worm gear, and oil pump if it had any hint of heat on it.
Yeah, I just replaced the rim sprocket, bearing and brake assembly cover. I ordered the clutch assembly but it's on backorder so I don't know when it will arrive. I ran the saw all this week and it appears to be fine so I'm not too worried about it. It oils fully and runs great.

Yeah, I just replaced the rim sprocket, bearing and brake assembly cover. I ordered the clutch assembly but it's on backorder so I don't know when it will arrive. I ran the saw all this week and it appears to be fine so I'm not too worried about it. It oils fully and runs great.
Why not cancel the order on the clutch then?

Back