MS 440 will not start - Yet another starting issue Thread - Sorry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artieman1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have looked at hundreds of threads here and elsewhere. This one has me absolutely stumped...

I purchased from a guy that claimed that it was run only once in the past couple of years. I immediately thought that it would have some issues with starting. Well, I showed up, his dad said there was no way he could start it due to some back trouble. I choked it, pulled 3 times and it fired. Kicked it off of choke and it started and ran like a dream... No problems YET!

I got home and about 10 hours later attempted to start my new toy! Yipee, I finally got rid of my little toys and got a MANS saw :) I did the same thing... Pulled and Pulled and Pulled and Pulled.. Get the idea? Took it off choke, pulled some more. Pulled the plug and it was firing BLUE. Thought there might be a problem with the carb due to age of saw sitting. Purchased a rebuild kit... Installed it, still nothing. Thought that maybe it bucked and sheared flywheel key. NOPE, just got my puller today and it was aligned correctly.

What now? Below is the specifics of what I have done so far.

• Compression 120 psi
  • Vacuum and Pressure testing (Unknown at this time but liked thread with innertube from blsnelling)
  • Spark is blue (Seems strong)
  • New Plug BPMR7A and tried new Champion Comparable
  • New Carb Rebuild kit. Carb was exceptionally clean, no crapola
  • Adjusted metering to flush with carb body
  • Adjusted carb L/H to 1/4 and 3/4 as indicated on body of air cleaner
  • Checked Exhaust (CLEAN) - other than excess fuel draining when I opened it.
  • Pulled flywheel - Key in tact and flywheel positioned corectly
  • Depressed Decompression Valve and Pulled it back out, will not start either way
  • Seems that when the decompression valve is in running position and choke is engaged, the saw pulls better (Sounds like rotation is clean). When decompression valve is depressed, does not seem to rotate as freely. Of course it sounds as if air leak is present then... What I am saying is that it seems a better chance to start when the decompression valve is not depressed and the choke is on???
  • When looking through the decompression hole, the removed plug hole and the exhaust port, the cylinder and piston look very clean. No scars.
  • No fuel anywhere on bottom of saw that would (TO ME) indicated a bottom end leak somewhere... Waiting to obtain vacuum pump...
  • PLEASE HELP!

So I have looked at hundreds of threads here and elsewhere. This one has me absolutely stumped...

So my buddy's father is a shop mechanic for a golf course. He told me to try WD40? What? Yeah right. Well, I am at my wits end. I tried it. I squirted a shot with the carb opened up, nothing. Then one more time for good measure, another squirt and pulled without choke...

IT WORKED! :clap: What the heck? It starts and runs. Now it needs adjustment but what in the world? Any ideas?

:rock:

Be sure to make sure the crank and flywheel taper with a degreaser. Then make sure to torque the nut to specs!

If you don't .....the key will sheer!

At 120 psi compression....it should run....not very well...and run worse when it gets warmed up.

Be sure to make sure the crank and flywheel taper with a degreaser. Then make sure to torque the nut to specs!

If you don't .....the key will sheer!

At 120 psi compression....it should run....not very well...and run worse when it gets warmed up.

So you are the second that thinks that 120 is no good. What should it be? If this is truely a new saw with only an hour or two on it, would this be improving when the rings set? Also, this was 120 after about 3 pulls on the saw...

Great, I will try again in the AM. How about the torque on the flywheel nut? Any idea off the top of your head?

Thank you much...

So if the compression does not increase, what am I looking at? New rings if the cylinder is clean?

So my buddy's father is a shop mechanic for a golf course. He told me to try WD40? What? Yeah right. Well, I am at my wits end. I tried it. I squirted a shot with the carb opened up, nothing. Then one more time for good measure, another squirt and pulled without choke...

IT WORKED! :clap: What the heck? It starts and runs. Now it needs adjustment but what in the world? Any ideas?

:rock:

Possibly the WD-40 freed up the rings??
Marvel Mystery Oil also works well at freeing up rings.
Try another compression check now that it's running again.
Maybe more than 120 lbs. now??
:cheers:
J2F

That's a great saw. It's pretty easy to work o nalso if you have problems with it. Good luck and welcome to a "Man's" saw:msp_smile:

Thank you much...

So if the compression does not increase, what am I looking at? New rings if the cylinder is clean?
If it were me...I'd try some more doses of WD-40 and an overnight
'soak-in' of Marvel Mystery Oil...nothing to lose...every thing to gain...then...
If compression doesn't increase....YEP...time for new rings

If it were me...I'd try some more doses of WD-40 and an overnight
'soak-in' of Marvel Mystery Oil...nothing to lose...every thing to gain...then...
If compression doesn't increase....YEP...time for new rings

I have a thread going for my Husky 55 that won't start. Doing comp test in the morning. I have been a huge fan of Marvel Mystery Oil for years. Oddly enough introduced to the stuff at 18 by my boss, the same guy that taught me to run a saw and climb. How would you soak it in Marvel? In other words where would you put it? Just take the plug out and pour a little in?

Latest posts

Back