Ms 660 running temps??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autumnsummers1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got me a nice used MS660 with a never used 36"stihl bar and chain for 400.00 smackers,
I don't want to smoke the jug and slug by running it to lean.
Do you guys know the avg full running temps of your saws? I don't have a tach but I do have a
temp gauge and just wanted to know if anyone else checks there temps?
I have slightly opened the muffler and removed the limit caps to richen it up a bit from where it was.
The saw has been used a moderate amount and the jug and piston look like new and it has 155psi
compression, this thing runs like a track star and pulls the 36" bar better than my 028super
woodboss pulls a 18", I was just wondering if anyone know the avg temps?

Buy the way I am new to this site so be kind:rock:

Hi everyone

You will get different temps at different places. Only "standard" method of measuring temps is the sensor that substitutes for a spark plug washer.

BobL puts his sensor near the exhaust port. The absolute temperature there does not mean anything, but after a while you learn what is normal for your saw.

Last edited:
You will get different temps at different places. Only "standard" method of measuring temps is the sensor that substitutes for a spark plug washer.

BobL puts his sensor near the exhaust port. The absolute temperature there does no mean anything, but after a while you learn what is normal for your saw.

Here is how I have implemented mine. The hottest reading I have registered on mine is about 200F but like mtngun says the abs temp means little. My temp readings are affected by the operation of the fan and thus indirectly by the ambient air temp, you just have to learn what is normal for your saw. An EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) is probably more reliable but I just wanted to use and off the shelf gauge and sensor and did not want to add an extension to the sensor wires. I may still do that at some stage.

I just got me a nice used MS660 with a never used 36"stihl bar and chain for 400.00 smackers,
I don't want to smoke the jug and slug by running it to lean.
Go to Madsen's site for some good tuning tunes.
Buy the way I am new to this site so be kind:rock:

We will not be kind and will insult you every chance we get,

Whoops - wrong site

Welcome Aboard!!

And beware of the police because that was truly a STEAL of a Stihl!!

WOW never though it would be so low , i gussed 375 or 400 if i remember wright we ran the briggs 5 hp go cart 390 on alcohol and reading it on the ring under spark plug . Welcome , just start buying saws and well tell you when you get enough ,

Last edited:
WOW never though it would be so low , i gussed 375 or 400 if i remember wright we ran the briggs 5 hp go cart 390 on alcohol and reading it on the ring under spark plug . . . .
Yep that would be more realistic - even though my sensor is jammed down between two fins just above the exhaust manifold, it is still inside in a silicone sleeve and air from the fan can flow over it. The sensor of the washer under the spark plug is a much more realistic.

Its been hot as hell here in Frankfort Ky lately, Man that 660 is a BEAST, can sure tell it from others by the sound it makes.
I will try to take some cutting temps at the compression release plug (mine is removed) this weekend
and report back Monday. I am running 93 oct at 40:1 mix with Stihl syn ultra and a slight mod on the factory muffler (single port), carb limiters gone tunen in the cut to two cycle and no load 4 cycle.

My tune seems to change from day to day depending on weather conditions, I try to stay on the rich
side just out of the 4cycle cutting.

I mill with an 880 and have the same temp gauge as BobL and it is wedged tight in between the bottom fin just above the exhaust. It climbs up to about 310F if I stay on it and lug it at 6500-7500 RPMs but if I back off and let the RPMs climb up over 8000 then it will cool back to about 285-295. It seems to make a difference in relation to the outside temp---when I start milling early in the morning and the air temp is 85 it seemed to max out at 285 but when it got up to 100 at 10AM the temp was running as I described first.

Back