MS 880 Given to Me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, on the OEM saw, I'm looking over the rubber lines and I've got the impulse line, the fuel line (in tank), and I need PN 1124 358 7705 (fuel line from tank nipple to carb). Anyone got any ideas of the best place to find this - my local Stihl dealer says it's obsolete.

So, on the OEM saw, I'm looking over the rubber lines and I've got the impulse line, the fuel line (in tank), and I need PN 1124 358 7705 (fuel line from tank nipple to carb). Anyone got any ideas of the best place to find this - my local Stihl dealer says it's obsolete.

Find another dealer. That 880 is still current. No way Stihl isn't still supporting that saw.

Find another dealer. That 880 is still current. No way Stihl isn't still supporting that saw.
Yeah, I'm going to do that for sure. The dealer is the same one who quoted my friend (that gave me this saw) the crazy price to fix this saw. I am beginning to suspect they only want to sell new saws and other equipment to retail customers. They appear to not be interested in fixing "retail" equipment, only commercial equipment.

I have some history with these guys way back too. I used to own a Stihl 015 with a 16" bar, 1/4" chain and they refused to work on it saying it was dangerous and they would not sell a chain for it. If I wanted them to work on the saw, or buy parts, I had to "convert" the saw to 3/8" chain and sprocket. I never went back after that, and that was 35 years ago. Clearly, they haven't changed.

Sadly, the 015 was stolen - I really liked that little saw. Ran 20:1, cut like crazy. It was a little screamer for sure.

And here is the piston:

View attachment 989657

View attachment 989658

Top ring is stuck - seems to have been overheated. Intake side has very light scratches, but nothing severe. Exhaust side took all the damage.
If that is the case it sounds like it was run hot and too lean. Wrong carb setting? See where the H and L are at currently. Count the turns in from where they are carefully. It could also be from old weak mixed
ethanol gas that phase separated.

Yeah, I'm going to do that for sure. The dealer is the same one who quoted my friend (that gave me this saw) the crazy price to fix this saw. I am beginning to suspect they only want to sell new saws and other equipment to retail customers. They appear to not be interested in fixing "retail" equipment, only commercial equipment.

I have some history with these guys way back too. I used to own a Stihl 015 with a 16" bar, 1/4" chain and they refused to work on it saying it was dangerous and they would not sell a chain for it. If I wanted them to work on the saw, or buy parts, I had to "convert" the saw to 3/8" chain and sprocket. I never went back after that, and that was 35 years ago. Clearly, they haven't changed.

Sadly, the 015 was stolen - I really liked that little saw. Ran 20:1, cut like crazy. It was a little screamer for sure.

If you gave them the part number, that might have been the problem. New part number, that the old should reference. Last time I ordered a part for a Stihl saw, I had to help the parts person navigate the screen to find the actual part. It is a hardware store and saws are a very small part of their business. It is a shame that Stihl cedes so much onto their retail sellers. Not all sellers are up to the job.

The stihl dealer in Houston had a hard time finding my crack shaft seals they are 2 different sizes and they had the part numbers wrong and I kept getting the small ones. I used stihl fuel line and cut to the length I needed.

The piston and rings were severely damaged and not reusable from the start and I already knew that. The clutch bearing is gone and in pieces inside the springs, the clutch drum is severely pitted. The brake assembly seems to be reusable, but will be disassembled to confirm.

Piston bearing seemed okay, and rod end seems okay. That is good news.

The AV system seems loose and probably needs new bushings. Things are adding up quick.

I hope the crank and the cases are good. If that holds true, at least I have a decent start to get this saw back together.

I have to put the old cylinder and piston back on to remove the clutch, but I wanted to get started on the obvious stuff first. It seems to be as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The piston and rings were severely damaged and not reusable from the start and I already knew that. The clutch bearing is gone and in pieces inside the springs, the clutch drum is severely pitted. The brake assembly seems to be reusable, but will be disassembled to confirm.

Piston bearing seemed okay, and rod end seems okay. That is good news.

The AV system seems loose and probably needs new bushings. Things are adding up quick.

I hope the crank and the cases are good. If that holds true, at least I have a decent start to get this saw back together.

I have to put the old cylinder and piston back on to remove the clutch, but I wanted to get started on the obvious stuff first. It seems to be as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It could be a lost cause. Good project if the sum of all the parts isn't a deal breaker. If it were a smaller lesser saw it would be a tosser. Being a $2K saw you can buy a lot of parts and still be ahead. Good Luck and keep us informed.

Well, it's getting worse. Clutch is off, and there is a lot of damage underneath. Oil pump drive gear is melted, Oil pump melted and spun off, possible clutch overheating also.

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

run with the chain brake on, pretty common list of carnage due to that.
new crank seal, oil drive sprockets x2 inc spacer if needed on the oil pump, new drum, bearing and springs as a minimum.
Personally I would now split the case, the bearing races/ cage could also be compromised due to that overheating.

still worth investing into

run with the chain brake on, pretty common list of carnage due to that.
new crank seal, oil drive sprockets x2 inc spacer if needed on the oil pump, new drum, bearing and springs as a minimum.
Personally I would now split the case, the bearing races/ cage could also be compromised due to that overheating.

still worth investing into
Yep, going all the way down to the cases. Taking out the bearings and crank to see if overheated. At this point, only thing left that may be good is the cases, the crank, the fuel tank assembly, and the carburetor. And some of the ignition stuff, and the plastic covers.

The AV buffers do need replacement also. The list is quite large now, and getting bigger.

Yep, going all the way down to the cases. Taking out the bearings and crank to see if overheated. At this point, only thing left that may be good is the cases, the crank, the fuel tank assembly, and the carburetor. And some of the ignition stuff, and the plastic covers.

The AV buffers do need replacement also. The list is quite large now, and getting bigger.
Good call, invest into it now, and you will have a dependable saw for years to come, and the knowledge that you have done it and its done right.

Each saw I get, I take my time to go over it like you have, and replace what needs doing, its not about the cost, its about buying a reliable usable tool you can rely on when you need it.

some of what your doing re av buffers etc which quickly add up $$$ are servicable items anyway, along with fuel hoses etc, so dont feel too bad about having to replace them.

Back