MS 881

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Are they any good? --- I was offered a new one in the box for a decent price and might be tempted. The main thing holding me back is the bad deal I had with my new MS 250 that I FINALLY had to fix myself. 6 Stihl dealers around here CLAIMED there was nothing wrong with it when it was a factory defect saw right from the box and they refused to honor the warranty on it. I told them it was a dud carb and they refused to put a different one on it so I got a chimna knockoff with needles you can tune to the motor, anyway now its a nice little saw and I dont want to get a dud 881 and go thru that again right out of the box.
Just wanting your opinions on the 881's and if they are any good or not. Thanks!

I’ve put my 084 up against one and the newer saw wins for power and speed of cut…until you go up to 48” and over and then the added manual oiler function on the 084 keeps things running cooler and faster.
In your case milling I expect you’ll be fitting an external oiler if you mill really big.
For me, even though I could buy the new saw through the business I’ll still keep the 084 over the 881…it’s just a grunty bastard that’s never let me down

One of my good friends just bought a Stihl MS 881. He paid $2 grand for it, and that included a long bar and chain. I asked him, "How long is that new bar?" He said "59 inches. Attached to the bar, the two together are longer than your height."

I'm 74" tall, and I almost fainted. Frankly, I was unaware Stihl made a bar that long. Gasp! I told him to send me a pic. If I get it, I'll post it here.

The boot is fine on my 8800, BUT I had to get a new one for my 410,--ya they can be a problem and do rot out with age! lol!
The deal on the 881 was a MAJOR discount due to a warehouse liquidation sale and they only had a couple left and were making room fast to put other shipments of goods, so I did order one, ---it was shipped yesterday according to Fed-Ex tracker. ---Now to see what comes! lol!
I will still need a 36" bar and ripping chain for it since thats what size my Alaskan unit is for. It works fine for our use in skinning down logs so they fit in the bandmill which is only 20" actual cutting width.

1641255232312.png
Sonny500 said, "I will still need a 36" bar and ripping chain for it since that's what size my Alaskan unit is for.
--------------------
Here's a bar and chain selection table. A few newer ones might be out there now. First column is pitch, second is gauge, third is # drive links, fourth is chain designation, fifth is bar model number. Clones exist. I doubt if any of these in the above table are classified as ripping chain. Good luck with that.

One of my good friends just bought a Stihl MS 881. He paid $2 grand for it, and that included a long bar and chain. I asked him, "How long is that new bar?" He said "59 inches. Attached to the bar, the two together are longer than your height."

I'm 74" tall, and I almost fainted. Frankly, I was unaware Stihl made a bar that long. Gasp! I told him to send me a pic. If I get it, I'll post it here.

I doubt if any of these in the above table are classified as ripping chain. Good luck with that.
Stihl does sell a ripping chain in .404 / .063, sharpened at a 10° angle. I've bought several for my 084. I believe the designation is 46RMX (46RMX-108 for a 36" sprocket nose bar). Works well, makes a surprisingly smooth cut.

Latest posts

Back