ms170 bar/chain/sproket combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I have a little ms170 I got very cheap from my neighbor. It's my backup saw for cutting my other saw out if I get it pinched or the saw my dad uses if he goes to the woods with me.

I don't like the 16" bar/chain it came with. The chain is so narrow (.043 gauge according to the bar stamp) that I find with these dainty little teeth it gets dull too easy and even using the file my dealer gave me it can only stand up to a couple of sharpenings before the chisels are all gone.

My other saw is a MS250 and I like the chain it wears.

What would be wrong with swapping a MS250 bar, chain, and sproket on? I realize the smaller saw has less engine power and eventually too wide a tooth would overload the engine but would this increase be acceptable? p.s. I already checked and the .325 sproket from the 250 does fit over the clutch on the 170 (identical sproket but with different # and size of teeth).

Just plain 'ol...NO..!!
The .043 gauge chain is there for a reason...all the little 30cc saw can handle..!!
You need to be running a 12" bar or 14" at the MAX..!!

I have the MS192T...same motor...and NO WAY I'd put a 16" bar on it..!!

"It can only stand up to a couple of sharpenings before the chisels are all gone."
Well...I doubt you have Stihl chain on that saw..!! Buy the Stihl 61 PMN if ya can find it.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I would get a 14" bar and chain combo for this saw. I think you will much happier with the 14" than the 16" this saw is just better suited for an .043 smaller chain and bar. I have an 018C and an MS 200. They both have a 14" bar and chain.

Back