MS170 lost/missing exhaust gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I have an MS170 on the bench for a muffler mod and WT-215 transplant. All was going well until I went to put it back together and I can't find the exhaust gasket. I have cleaned up and around my workbench and I can't find one. I didn't really notice whether it had one or not. Usually they stick to either the jug or the muffler. As I look at the muffler it seems like it may have never had one. I can see the outline of the exhaust port on the muffler which is open around the outside of the bolt holes.

So I figure I have three options. One, just put it together and see what happens. Two, make one out of some gasket material. Three, order the gasket. I found one on ebay for five bucks shipped. The Stihl dealer is closed today.

Has anyone ever noticed if indeed these saws have a muffler gasket? Anyone ever made one from dense gasket paper? I'm not sure how it would hold up.

Exhaust gaskets are the ones to die first in my limited experience. I just made one for the 070 out of some kind of gasket material i had on hand. Did the same on the 026. I think it would work even without it. Make one or try running without it, its not like its gonna explode without it.

Thanks Fish. Where were you when I "wasted" an hour cleaning my workbench:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back