MS170 Upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTermite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After a little problem keepin my lil' Stihl running a few weeks ago (spark arrestor screen clogged somethin' fierce), it's again running like a top. After using it for about a year now, I still like the saw's performance but wondered if anyone could recommend any tweaks to improve performance. I'm still running it entirely stock, would a new (different) bar and chain combo work better? Any suggestions? Buehler . . . Buehler . . . Buehler . . . anyone?

The 170 has a fixed jet carb, so if you open up the muffler you will have to get 2 or 3 jets slightly larger than the one in it to richen up the mix, and just try them to see what works.
Stay with the .043 chain to keep the power up. A heavier mass chain, such as a .050 gauge, will take more power to pull through the log. I don't know if you could really tell the difference, but that is the reason Stihl puts the .043 chain on the small saws and pole pruners, to keep the weight down and the power up.
Probably just stay with a 14" bar for best results.

The 170 has a fixed jet carb, so if you open up the muffler you will have to get 2 or 3 jets slightly larger than the one in it to richen up the mix, and just try them to see what works.
Stay with the .043 chain to keep the power up. A heavier mass chain, such as a .050 gauge, will take more power to pull through the log. I don't know if you could really tell the difference, but that is the reason Stihl puts the .043 chain on the small saws and pole pruners, to keep the weight down and the power up.
Probably just stay with a 14" bar for best results.

I sure hope Stihl has something better than that crappy PMN chain in .043

Last edited:
Stihl#1 is right, PMN does cut well when new and kept sharp, even in locust and maple. Maybe I should just continue using the 170 as a limbing & bucking saw and not try to make it into a "beast". Don't want to put too much more into a $180 saw that I only use on a couple of acres of Tennessee hillside. I appreciate the advice on the .050 bar/chain as I was looking at an Oregon combo in that gauge, and if the 170 isn't strong enough to pull it then I don't need to add it.

Thanks for the posts.

:deadhorse:

Back