ms180 rim drive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS210/230/250 (part # 1123 007 1030) rim sprocket kit will fit the MS180.
Kit comes with Rim drum, 7T picco sprocket, washer and e-clip, mine was
about $18. You can run .043 gauge picco on it. For $18 see if you like it,
I think you will if cutting 6 inch and smaller......I run a tank in mine 180 after
work, cutting 3 inch and smaller dia sprouts tonight. It cut's these small sprouts faster with the 7 tooth sprocket. If you don't like it sell it to someone
that has 021/210 023/230 025/250 ;)

its not stock I have done a carb swap and muffler mod and I think it can handle a lot more than the 6t. I can lean on it pretty good with the stock chain. The woodland pro chain i can still lean on it pretty good and that has a lot bigger cutter on it than the stihl chain.

I think you will if cutting 6 inch and smaller......I run a tank in mine 180 after
work, cutting 3 inch and smaller dia sprouts tonight. It cut's these small sprouts faster with the 7 tooth sprocket. If you don't like it sell it to someone

Does anyone know if this can be used on the 009-012 series and the MS200/200T? It would be great to have a rim setup on these saws!

its not stock I have done a carb swap and muffler mod and I think it can handle a lot more than the 6t. I can lean on it pretty good with the stock chain. The woodland pro chain i can still lean on it pretty good and that has a lot bigger cutter on it than the stihl chain.

See link below for a couple of videos of MS180 and some BS, has same mods as your's

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79300

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this can be used on the 009-012 series and the MS200/200T? It would be great to have a rim setup on these saws!

No it won't work for MS200 for sure, MS200 has a oiler worm gear
that runs off sprocket teeth.

As far as I know Stihl dose not make a rim type drum for the saws
you list......maybe after market, but I have never checked.

Last edited:
I didn't like the 7-pin even with a port job. It just kills too much of the torque that little engine puts out. I decided it wasn't worth running a rim and went back to the stock 6 spur drum.

Brad,

IMO, I'm inclined to disagree ........and I think the video is proof that
with carb swap and muffler opened up a little.

Remember the post you made (#47) in link above. :cheers:

mod details?

Brad,

IMO, I'm inclined to disagree ........and I think the video is proof that
with carb swap and muffler opened up a little.

Remember the post you made (#47) in link above. :cheers:

Have you posted a thread on the mods that you did to your 180? Mine (stock) is impressive-to me-but it's not in the same league as yours!

As an aside, my 180 (which is relatively new-maybe 20-25 tanks) has started to lean bog after shutting it down for awhile...just won't take throttle. After goosing it for awhile, it will finally take the throttle, and is fine from then on...at least until I shut it off again. When I gas up, there is the sound of a vacuum easing when I open the cap. First start of the day is fine.
I am guessing a blocked tank vent is causing the build up of a vacuum. First start is okay, as the tank pressure has equalized overnight. As the carb pumps fuel out of the tank, the tank goes into a vacuum...perhaps the carb is strong enough to pull the fuel despite the vacuum, but when the saw is shut down, the vacuum pulls the fuel out of the line, causing lean running-and poor pumping until the line fully fills again...

sound plausible?

Kim

Have you posted a thread on the mods that you did to your 180? Mine (stock) is impressive-to me-but it's not in the same league as yours!

As an aside, my 180 (which is relatively new-maybe 20-25 tanks) has started to lean bog after shutting it down for awhile...just won't take throttle. After goosing it for awhile, it will finally take the throttle, and is fine from then on...at least until I shut it off again. When I gas up, there is the sound of a vacuum easing when I open the cap. First start of the day is fine.
I am guessing a blocked tank vent is causing the build up of a vacuum. First start is okay, as the tank pressure has equalized overnight. As the carb pumps fuel out of the tank, the tank goes into a vacuum...perhaps the carb is strong enough to pull the fuel despite the vacuum, but when the saw is shut down, the vacuum pulls the fuel out of the line, causing lean running-and poor pumping until the line fully fills again...

sound plausible?

Kim

blsnelling (Brad) done a thread, I don't remember the carb number.....Brad will I bet :)

All I done to mine was switch carb's (same carb as Brad's) and open muffler a little, I just got in from using my 180.......damn rain!

If your's is still under warranty, I would take it back to the dealer.

TT

Last edited:
If you plan to use a rim setup on 180 as Brad has said you will
have to run a at least 7T rim. That can make it hard to get the chain
on the bar. I mount the bar, chain and rim all at same time, as a unit.

I do the same thing on 066/660 when mounting a 25" bar with 3/8 84 driver
chain and a 8T rim. After the chain stretches it will go on.

TT

I just got around to getting it set up and I must say I am impressed. The power loss was not too bad and it cuts fast! This is using the woodland pro chain with the bigger cutters I think with the Stihl PMMC3 it might be even faster and have more power.

I have the same setup on my 180 that’s used on fence rows.

Back