ms193t spark plug thread repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarhollow

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Today I went to local pawn shop and this stihl ms 193t followed me home for a grand total of $63.
It is missing the oil cap and the spark plug threads are stripped.
I have used helicoils for many years as they are standard fare in outboard repair but I have never done a 10mm spark plug before with compression as high as what many good chainsaws have. Outboards have maybe 120 psi rebuilt with new wiseco pistons and head shaved flat and level or with low compression head gasket can be 60-80 psi.
Should I get the heli-coil kit or the Time-sert kit, anyone have any experience with either.
thanks much from an arborsite newby

I think time-sirt kits will be more effective. They aren't much and it's worth a shot. If it fails it would be best to get a new cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have search the internet for a new cylinder and unless they are the same as the 192t the only one I found was on ebay for $250 that seems a bit much although I would have a rebuilt saw. The Time-sert brand kit is $94 on amazon. One thing I am wondering about are the outside threads on the inserts a common thread that I could buy a tap for or is it a custom cut tap just for the inserts as most Heli-coils taps are. I am not sure which way to go on this. It would be a real nice addition to my saw lineup. A real back saver for sure.

Wow, that is expensive. I would post about looking for a cylinder in the trading post. You got a fair deal on the saw for needing a new cylinder, so hopefully you can fine a used one. I would not recommend spending $95 on a time sert kit because it can't be guaranteed to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time Serts are expensive, but are the best.
No equal IMO.
I even install them on on cylinders while still on the saws too. Just hang the saw upside down.
Unless you are planning on doing several, it's not cost effective.
You may find someone on here that you can mail it to.
I only have the 14mm one.

I found a helicoil 10mm kit on ebay for $62 and ordered it. I'll give that a try and if it fails to work I can always re ebay it and get a new cylinder and rings. Thanks everyone I'm always learning something new

Good luck with that heli coil, I've never had good luck with those, time serts for me.

Steve
Totally agree with that In my part of the world you can buy Timesert type bits separately So you don't have to buy the bits you have already got again being 10 mm is an odd one out as stated in an earlier post I have never had much success with Helicoils in regard to spark plug thread repairs

Thanks, What size thread tap do I need for the 10mm time-sert, a local dealer quoted me 95 dollars for new piston/cylinder kit. I probably would have ordered it except for all the horror stories people have written about the 193

what is the deal with dealer parts prices, i checked price at one place they said 95 dollars for piston cylinder kit, i went to 2 other dealers one said there was no kit from stihl parts are seperate and cost was north of $150, the other said he was not sure their sawman was out that day

I have looked at all the usual places for aftermarket cylinder and cannot find one for 193, Now I have to find a tapholder for the helicoil tap, its 100+ miles to store that has 8 point sockets and the tap is to big for any of the tap holders I have. I hate to grind on the tap square but may resort to do just that so it will fit my tap holder

Back