MS201T Oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leetabix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, after spending hours on my ms201T which has developed an oiling problem, I have decided to seek some advice. The problem is the saw will only oil with the oil filler cap open, which incidentally means the saw must be on it's side. As soon as the cap is closed the saw stops oiling. I have cleaned/blown everything through, and tested the oiler with a drill and a tube, and it works perfectly. So, is there some sort of breather arrangement in the saw somewhere that I don't know about? Called the local stihl dealer and they are clueless. So what is going on, any thoughts? Thanks in advance

Dave

There is a oil tank vent on the right side of the chainsaw near the front which is obviously plugged.

The vent valve is behind the sprocket cover and in the tank wall.

Try blowing through it with air to unplug it.

Just make sure the oil tank in empty if you are using low pressure air to clear a blockage and the oil filler cap is off or you will pressurise the tank and you may end up with an oil mess.

There is a oil tank vent on the right side of the chainsaw near the front which is obviously plugged.

The vent valve is behind the sprocket cover and in the tank wall.

Try blowing through it with air to unplug it.

Do I need to remove the clutch, oil pump etc to gain access to this vent? or is it literally just underneath the single outer cover? I can't see anything that looks like a vent, as of yet. Thanks though I will keep looking.

I wanted to cover this issue in detail. The ms201t isn't the best design really, the oiling system is also quite bad. On mine, part of the oil pump is corroded and leaking oil. The crankcase block that the bar mounts onto is also corroded and not making a tight fit in the area where it feeds oil into the bar. This was partly my fault for not cleaning it, especially from the corrosive effects of palm debris. I fixed this corrosion with automotive high temp gasket sealant. Having said that, these surfaces lack any type of chromate coating that protects against this. I thought the MS200 was the Lamborghini of chainsaws.

Then there is the issue with the alignment screw that keeps the bar aligned on the crankcase block. It is of insufficient length, has ripped out and the thread is gone, so a new screw can't be reinserted. Now the crankcase block has to be replaced. Instead, I corrected Stihl's catastrophic mistake, by drilling a deeper hole and tapping a new and deeper thread. The alignment screw keeps the bar straight but also keeps the oil entry and exit channels aligned.

Once you have corrected the defective nature of the saw's oiling system, then you need to look out for simple things. The chain expanding and coming loose is the notable sign of no oil inside the bar.

Remove the bar, check oil is coming out the channel on the block
Turn screw clockwise on oil pump to maximize oil output
Go back to using original stihl oil
Clean the oil filter
Check for dirt particles inside the oil pump
Check blockages around oil hoses
Clean oil channel on bar
Check alignment screw
Check for leaks around oil pump
Check worm drive for wear
Check air release valve
Clean surfaces
Ensure inertia clutch mounts onto worm drive correctly

The pump may be delivering oil, but not a sufficient quantity. Not enough
oil causes the chain to expand and the bar to get hot. Eventually the chain
will come off or sometimes it snaps.

I wanted to cover this issue in detail. The ms201t isn't the best design really, the oiling system is also quite bad. On mine, part of the oil pump is corroded and leaking oil. The crankcase block that the bar mounts onto is also corroded and not making a tight fit in the area where it feeds oil into the bar. This was partly my fault for not cleaning it, especially from the corrosive effects of palm debris. I fixed this corrosion with automotive high temp gasket sealant. Having said that, these surfaces lack any type of chromate coating that protects against this. I thought the MS200 was the Lamborghini of chainsaws.

Then there is the issue with the alignment screw that keeps the bar aligned on the crankcase block. It is of insufficient length, has ripped out and the thread is gone, so a new screw can't be reinserted. Now the crankcase block has to be replaced. Instead, I corrected Stihl's catastrophic mistake, by drilling a deeper hole and tapping a new and deeper thread. The alignment screw keeps the bar straight but also keeps the oil entry and exit channels aligned.

Once you have corrected the defective nature of the saw's oiling system, then you need to look out for simple things. The chain expanding and coming loose is the notable sign of no oil inside the bar.

Remove the bar, check oil is coming out the channel on the block
Turn screw clockwise on oil pump to maximize oil output
Go back to using original stihl oil
Clean the oil filter
Check for dirt particles inside the oil pump
Check blockages around oil hoses
Clean oil channel on bar
Check alignment screw
Check for leaks around oil pump
Check worm drive for wear
Check air release valve
Clean surfaces
Ensure inertia clutch mounts onto worm drive correctly

The pump may be delivering oil, but not a sufficient quantity. Not enough
oil causes the chain to expand and the bar to get hot. Eventually the chain
will come off or sometimes it snaps.
Hmmm . I too have these corrosion issues. Is the 201 particularly bad in this regard or was my delay in washing after palm trees the main culprit?

I heard palm trees are quite corrosive unfortunately, I found really bad corrosion behind the clutch on my ms441, I guess they need cleaning regularly.

Back