ms241/261 power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the 241 is out. For those who have both 241 and 261 can you notice the 1 pound difference? I would guess not really.
Red97 what was it that you didn't like with the 3/8 chain?

With my cutting style, I tend to lean into the wood a bit harder than needed, I felt the 261 bogged to easy with the 3/8 RS chain. I felt it needed a very light touch.

I did like the bar though..

with the .325 on the 261 It just suits my cutting style much better.

The 241 is noticeably lighter when you are holding the saw out head high cutting limbs and such.

With my cutting style, I tend to lean into the wood a bit harder than needed, I felt the 261 bogged to easy with the 3/8 RS chain. I felt it needed a very light touch.

I did like the bar though..

with the .325 on the 261 It just suits my cutting style much better.

The 241 is noticeably lighter when you are holding the saw out head high cutting limbs and such.
Do you like the 241 Red?

Blsnelling, it seems you have tried everything. What do you think of a 261 with say an 18" bar with the 72lpx chain? I know it won't be as good as what it comes with but i just wouldn't what it to get stuck every 2 seconds. The 261 would only be used when on steep slopes that are hard to stand on and cut, with for me wouldn't be very often. The 461 just seem's a little unsafe when the bank is so steep i have to stand on the uphill side against the truck and reach around for the notch. So I'm hopping the lighter saw would be easier

Red 97, thanks for the info
So I guess the 261 would feel extremely light then compared to my 461

Its a complete mixture of trees. I use the excavator to rip out stump up to about 8 inch, after that They need to be cut flush with the ditch banks and leave the stump or the stump hole is to big and tends to wash out the bank over time. So i would still use the 461 on the big stuff maybe 14" To 36" But it would be nice to use the small saw maybe 5-6hrs a day and the 461 the other 4-5hrs. I think I'd be a little less stiff the next day

Its a complete mixture of trees. I use the excavator to rip out stump up to about 8 inch, after that They need to be cut flush with the ditch banks and leave the stump or the stump hole is to big and tends to wash out the bank over time. So i would still use the 461 on the big stuff maybe 14" To 36" But it would be nice to use the small saw maybe 5-6hrs a day and the 461 the other 4-5hrs. I think I'd be a little less stiff the next day
Mostly stump cutting and not limbing then?

I just ran a Stihl 026 with just a light MM pulling a 16 inch 3/8 Oregon chisel chain. Had no issues unless I would get it pinched. It wasn't as smooth as the 020T running the 3/8 picco but that bar/chain combo will be staying the that saw for sure.

We were cutting down an apple tree that was starting to die. It will make for good barbecue! It wasn't locust but still pretty hard.

I know that the question was regarding the 261 but if the 026 can handle it, I would assume the the 261 can do it better.

If you are going to use the "new saw" for 14" and under I would go with the 241 with a 14-16" bar since you have the 461 for the large stuff.

I know it doesn't help the 100' of 3/8 issue, but If I needed a saw for just that size wood I grab the 241 every time.

If you are going to use the "new saw" for 14" and under I would go with the 241 with a 14-16" bar since you have the 461 for the large stuff.

I know it doesn't help the 100' of 3/8 issue, but If I needed a saw for just that size wood I grab the 241 every time.
Actually I have all three the 241 to limb the 261 to buck up to 16-17 inches then the 460 or 461.

Actually I have all three the 241 to limb the 261 to buck up to 16-17 inches then the 460 or 461.

I don't notice much difference up to 14" between the 2, but the 241 is a much better limber.

Never done any stumping, but I imagine the wood can be a bit tough down low. The extra umph of the 261 could be beneficial

Latest posts

Back