MS241 Chain Brake Adjustment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CacaoBoy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
To release the chain brake on my Stihl MS241 requires that the brake handle be moved back to within about 1/4" of the handlebar. It appears this may be typical of these saws, but it means that the brake cannot be released when the left hand is holding the saw in the normal position on the top of the handlebar, but rather the left hand must be shifted out of the way to the left wrap-around side of the handlebar. This means several extra movements are required as the left hand is shifted out of the way, and then back to the normal operating position. Perhaps of greater concern is the risk of injury every time the saw is juggled without having a firm grip and the brake is off.

On my previous saw the chain brake could be released while the left hand was in position on the top of the handlebar.

Before I tear into the saw I wanted to ask if anyone has adjusted the chain brake so it will release without such a close approach to the handlebar. Or is this not typical, and something that should be fixed under warranty?

Sticker says 3/8", matches what is actually on it.
MS241.jpg

I have sent a query to Stihl technical support and will let people here know what they say. Thanks.

On most stihls there won't be enough room to leave your hand on the top handle and release the chain brake with your other hand. Not really any adjustments and if you modify the mechanism it may cause problems with it actually engaging correctly should you encounter a kickback that should/would trigger it.

Its something that I really don't think about as it always seemed natural to me but I've watched many folks look like the monkey/football cenario trying to figure out how to take the brake off and not pinch fingers or drop the saw, etc. Fwiw, this is how I do it. If I'm holding the saw with both hands, left on the top handle in the "bucking position" and right on the rear handle, I lower my left hand and lift my right to tip the saw down. Open up your left hand while keeping your left thumb under the top handle. Pull the chain brake lever back with your four free fingers and then let it return to neutral position and regrip the handle with your left hand. I usually have the saw resting against my leg while I take the brake off which helps support it.

Hope that's helpful.

AJ

Latest posts

Back