MS250 for $75, no compression...sure, why not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonesouth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
rr156h.jpg

saw was listed on craigslist, post said no compression. I've already got an MS250 and have gotten fairly deep into it, so the repair did not seem too daunting. I was hoping for a broken ring. I figured worst case, it would need a new piston/cylinder, no biggie.

I went ahead and pulled the muffler, just to take a peak...

a3k2s4.jpg

Seriously? What did they do to this saw?!?

oid2ky.jpg

OK, so I'm looking at the worst case, except worse than that. After seeing inside, I have no faith in the bearings, so now I'm looking at replacing a bit more than just the piston and cylinder. Found a kit on ebay for $25, I figure I can afford to lose another $25. Worst worst case, I get it all put together, and it is garbage(hold opinions on MS250), I can get better parts and take another shot at it...and end up with a saw worth about what I paid for it.

2vs20xy.jpg

In my opinion go for it, you may want to browse some of the site sponsors also for parts. Better support if you have issues. I have had good luck with HLsupply and Def Dave @Chainsaw conservation components. It is also a great learning experience. That piston and cylinder just look nasty.

Don't know if you've taken the cylinder apart, but I would just out of curiosity - like Quincy doing an autopsy to determine cause of death. Also, sometimes it's amazing how they clean up. Admittedly all parts except the cylinder itself are trash and possibly the cylinder too. You just never know til you look. But I have time on my hands and lots of curiosity. YMMV considerably.

The new kit should be in by next thursday. I'm going to take it apart and put it back together at that time. I'll post some more pics as I go. I figure the saw would be worth about $150 if it were running, and $25 and a little time(I count this as education) isn't too much invested. I like to tinker anyway, my hobby is the 77 bronco making a tire cameo in the first pic.

Engine delivered today. That was quick! Wife is out of the house tonight, so I'm going to change the oil in her van, then tear this down and get it stuck back together.

Engine delivered today. That was quick! Wife is out of the house tonight, so I'm going to change the oil in her van, then tear this down and get it stuck back together

.While the cat is away.....

On the kitchen table. (while the wife is out);)

I don't think I would have bought it for 75$ but if I did then I would rebuild it. Those seem like a very popular saw Idk y. But hey I have a 500$ invested 290 rebuilt saw so stuff happens.:dumb2:

I also have some poulans that I spent more on fixing than they were worth.

This is y I say I wouldn't have bought it.

Clean the main bearings with compressed air. I just reassembled an MS250 with the same kit and the bearings had crud in them making them feel notchy as they spun.

rr156h.jpg

saw was listed on craigslist, post said no compression. I've already got an MS250 and have gotten fairly deep into it, so the repair did not seem too daunting. I was hoping for a broken ring. I figured worst case, it would need a new piston/cylinder, no biggie.

I went ahead and pulled the muffler, just to take a peak...

a3k2s4.jpg

Seriously? What did they do to this saw?!?

oid2ky.jpg

OK, so I'm looking at the worst case, except worse than that. After seeing inside, I have no faith in the bearings, so now I'm looking at replacing a bit more than just the piston and cylinder. Found a kit on ebay for $25, I figure I can afford to lose another $25. Worst worst case, I get it all put together, and it is garbage(hold opinions on MS250), I can get better parts and take another shot at it...and end up with a saw worth about what I paid for it.

2vs20xy.jpg
I’m not sure I’d give that much for a saw with a hole in its piston like that. Gotta be more damage than whats visible, it’s a pile of parts worth maybe $50, if the bar and chain ain’t shot like the piston. :cool:

Ah! GRASSHOPPER In this hobby of old used saws sometimes I score a good deal and sometimes not so much--try to dwell on the good times and deals and call the rest parts saws lol. - The GURU

Back