MS250 for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich M

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut about 5 cord a year, mostly Red Oak and Sugar Maple. The MS250 is right in my price range (Stihl dealer close by). Is this the right saw for the job? Thanks.

Rich,
When i started selling firewood I started out with the Stihl 025.
It is a nice little saw. From your post it sounds that it will more than serve your needs. Assuming that you aren't bucking very large trees. The 044 is nice but alot heavier than the ms250 and will fatigue you after awhile.

Woodho

The MS250 sounds like a perfect saw for your situation. My only reservation would be if you were getting into some pretty big red oak, then I too would recommend a larger saw. I would not go larger than an 18" bar, and preferably use a 16"/.325.

I have a 250 with a 16" .325 chain. Open up the muffler and go to town. Most of the time I use my 250 rather that the 044 because of the weight thing.

I think that you will do fine with the 250. Also pay the extra 30 bucks and get the quick adjust like on the 250C. I didn't get the C model because I didn't need the primer. Get the 250, 16" bar with quick adjust. Then open the muffler to the size of the recessed retangle, retune and If you gain 25% then you have around 3.75 hp, not bad for its weight.

Here is my thread about openin up the can. It helps alot.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12019

It's a good saw if you can ever get one to idle right. My experience with 250's is that the are finiky idlers with respect to temperture. If you can handle the extra 1.5 pounds buy the 290 FB. Much more power and less finikyness. Great homeowner wood burner saw. I consider it the 041 of it's time.

Thanks guys. Was planning on the 16" bar, mostly cutting tops left by the loggers, nothing too big. Fatigue is a factor as I often work alone doing the splitting and loading too. Usually cut spring and fall, temps vary widely. Already dealing with a POS Poulan w/Walbro carb that won't idle, it's the reason I'm shopping for a new saw.

Rich,

If you are cutting smaller wood in the 20inch and under size the 025 is very fine saw with a 16 inch bar and .325RS chain. The 025 is a diamond in the rough in the stihl line. Unlike its sister saws(017, 018, 029, 031, 039)the 025 does not seem to be plagued with the problems of poor performance, extreme weight or both. It is a very fine piece of equipment for your use.

You can also look at a used 026 on Ebay for the same price or less. Just be careful when choosing your seller and equipment.

With regards to idling problems .....mine has problems idling also. Perhaps StihlTech will read this and make a few suggestions on how to correct the problem.

The ms250 is an excellent saw! I would recomend it highly and without reservation. Go with a 16'' bar and full chisel chain and you won't go wrong.

Go ahead and get the 025, had one for 3 or 4 yrs now and no problems at all. Light and powerful for its size, easy to operate and just a good all around saw.

Check out some of the sharpening info on the site, The guy with the smaller saw and a sharp chain will out cut the guy with a bigger saw and a messed up chain. He's also working a lot less to cut the same amount of wood.

Sharpening skill is likely the biggest factor on preformance, fuel ecconomy, and saw longevity. Also sharpening is significant in safety.

I've been working on my file sharpening on my Poulan. I've improved but still have a long way to go. My left to right stroke isn't as good as my right to left. This forum has been a big help.

As mentioned above the Stihl .325 RS chain is very good on that size saw. It gives up very little to the 3/8 full chisel used on slightly larger sized saws.

Have you tried filling with your chain clamped in a vice? If your only cutting a few cords of wood a year, you should be able to prep 3 chains and rotate them so you would not have to hand file in the bush too often.

rich,,u might find the roller guide very helful.. husquevarna has them here.
russ sent me one ,,and i aint looked back since..good luck..hold it.. i was just checking ,,i got an exstra if u want it.. email me with your adress.
ps if no responce promptly do it again as i get all kind of junk mail and mite miss it..

I have an 025 with the muffler opened up (kept the screen) that is used every day for limbing. I like the power to weight ratio and it has lasted for 18 months of employee abuse.....er..use.:) Another comparable saw is a jonsered 2150, 2149 or a 346 husky. All are good saws and close in price. I agree with everyone else, run .325 rs chain. Although I like the 025, I prefer the 2149. It seems to make a little more power and it has better antivib. But then again.....we all have opinions.;)

Back