MS250 high flow muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
If you want to get the most out of your 250, read on.

The stock muffler totally chokes the saw. A good start is to drill more holes in the exit, but this doesn't completely solve the problem. The internal baffle is restrictive and must be dealt with.
One good mod is to double the amount of holes in the baffle and reassemble. I've done this and it works well, but there is a better way and this thread deals with that choice.

The muffler will be gutted and changed to open can style.
First, grind open side and bottom seams but leave the top.

IMG_20200320_104338.jpg

Your pieces. Save the baffle, you will need the bolt tubes.

IMG_20200320_104850.jpg

Fab up a baffle using sheet metal, dimensions are 1.35x1.35x.85. Your brazing and bending skills come into play here.

IMG_20200320_121723.jpg

Swiss cheese the top, bottom and back with 1/8 holes. Around 70 should be enough. Debur them all, and clean all the flux off. Leave no chance of something getting back into the cylinder.

IMG_20200321_102705.jpg

Open up the forward can hole and leave a slight raised lip to help center the baffle and braze on. There should be a slight downward tilt to aid flow to the top of the baffle. Clean all the flux off.

IMG_20200321_120051.jpg

Cut the bolt tubes free from the old baffle and place as shown.

IMG_20200321_115843.jpg

Clamp the halves together and braze up.

IMG_20200321_122434.jpg

Paint up with high heat paint. If you haven't already done so, widen the gill slits on the stock deflector and install.

IMG_20200321_125515.jpg

The first give away that it flows better is that the saw idles considerably faster. Then there is a major change in the top end mixture setting, and free revs have picked up quite a bit. Power and revs in the cut are quite a bit higher now also. The baffle works as it should, it flows well, and the noise level isn't objectionable at all, either at idle or full throttle.
A couple of evenings time well spent if you want the most out of your saw. You could probably get even more gains if you replaced the gill slits with an angled tube.

Nice how to. I fully expected to see a tuna or spam can on a ms250.

@Pioneer Looks interesting. Any reason you brazed instead of welding? I've never tried brazing but am a decent driveway welder.
I used braze because of the gauge of the metal, its easier, plenty heat resistant for the application, and I am using oxy/propane. I could have used my wire feed welder for the baffle, but the muffler can is a bit too thin for that. Overall, I just have more control over the process.

If you have an oxy welding torch, give it a try, a tube of brazing rods are reasonably priced, and are handy for all kinds of jobs.

Nice work. I been thinking about removing the baffle plate all together and add this to it but you will need to box it too. More holes for a lot more unrestricted flow. Pic your size. This can be used inside any muffler that splits. Remove that baffle plate with the holes. I think your box with holes unchokes the flow it’s like a mini chamber?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...esc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=stainless+welded+screen
Note, anyone interested in learning all types of welding your local trade school has night classes for welding. You start off with gas cutting, braising then gas welding the first course. The next course is arc and MiG welding. Don’t let not knowing how to weld hold you back.

Take the electrical trade school course too. The more you know the more jobs you can apply for. Nothing can hold you back.

If you want to get the most out of your 250, read on.

The stock muffler totally chokes the saw. A good start is to drill more holes in the exit, but this doesn't completely solve the problem. The internal baffle is restrictive and must be dealt with.
One good mod is to double the amount of holes in the baffle and reassemble. I've done this and it works well, but there is a better way and this thread deals with that choice.

The muffler will be gutted and changed to open can style.
First, grind open side and bottom seams but leave the top.

View attachment 809214

Your pieces. Save the baffle, you will need the bolt tubes.

View attachment 809215

Fab up a baffle using sheet metal, dimensions are 1.35x1.35x.85. Your brazing and bending skills come into play here.

View attachment 809217

Swiss cheese the top, bottom and back with 1/8 holes. Around 70 should be enough. Debur them all, and clean all the flux off. Leave no chance of something getting back into the cylinder.

View attachment 809220

Open up the forward can hole and leave a slight raised lip to help center the baffle and braze on. There should be a slight downward tilt to aid flow to the top of the baffle. Clean all the flux off.

View attachment 809222

Cut the bolt tubes free from the old baffle and place as shown.

View attachment 809223

Clamp the halves together and braze up.

View attachment 809225

Paint up with high heat paint. If you haven't already done so, widen the gill slits on the stock deflector and install.

View attachment 809227

The first give away that it flows better is that the saw idles considerably faster. Then there is a major change in the top end mixture setting, and free revs have picked up quite a bit. Power and revs in the cut are quite a bit higher now also. The baffle works as it should, it flows well, and the noise level isn't objectionable at all, either at idle or full throttle.
A couple of evenings time well spent if you want the most out of your saw. You could probably get even more gains if you replaced the gill slits with an angled tube.
Nice brazing! Very inconspicuous

Good job , impressive. I agree about the brazing. Welders don't work too good on that thin sheet metal. Recently did a similar type mod on a 361 and had to braze the muffler back together. I tried soldering first before the brazing . I wasn't sure that thin metal could take the heat of a oxy/act . The solder worked but as soon as that muffler got warm that solder let go and the muffler fell apart. The higher heat of actual brazing solved that problem and haven't had a problem with that muffler.

Back