MS250 or MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more of a fire wood guy and cut mostly blow downs.

I have a late model four port 025 that has been muffler MM'd. It has 16" X .325" X .063" RSC It has a new twin needle carb.

I also have a 026 PRO that is ported with a pop up and muffler mod. It is 16" X 3/8 X .050" RSC. It has a WT-194 carb

I use the saws together with one as the back up for the other. Surprisingly, I like one as well as the other.

I use them as limbing saws. I have other limbing saws but often use the two Stihls for they are small with a lot of power.

I use bigger saws if needed.

I am a homeowner and cut about 4 or 5 rick of wood a year. I am going to buy a saw and am wondering if the 261 is worth the extra $200. Local dealer is about to have a sale. MS250 - $290 MS261 - $494. Both have 18 inch bars. Also should I go up to a 20 inch bar. Thank you.

Hello Punkin. From your post, you probably already own at least one saw, and you're looking for a new one. With that in mind, go for the MS261, then you won't regret it later on down the line.

As for the bar, it will handle the 20" just fine, and it'll save your back bucking those 2 Cords of wood. Enjoy life while you can. You only get one shot at it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Can you dump $500 on the Ms261 and have money left over for chaps, files, safety gear, etc? If yes, get the 261. If you won't, get the 251 and buy proper protective gear. The average chainsaw injury is over $10,000 and 100 stitches. Chaps and steel toe boots are about $200.

Cutting two cords of wood a year is no problem for the 251, and don't go larger than a 18" bar with either, there typically isn't a need and the saws will run stronger and balance better.

Can't really add anything to the great advice that you have already received- You aren't cutting the amount of wood (Now) that would take advantage of the 261, but should you decide to sell later - the 261 will keep it's value alot better. I haven't ran a 250, but many on here have owned them and cut a lot of firewood with them. PPE has been mentioned, bar size to stay below 18 inch has been mentioned. If you need 20 inch bar - then I think you should jump up to 60cc class.
Stay on this site to learn from the experience on sharpening your chain. Use your local dealer and establish a relationship with him and cut safe.

Hi Punk
The way I would look at this decision would be how many years I intend to be using the saw. If you intend or forsee cutting fire wood twenty years from now I would buy the MS261 Pro. In that time period there is a good chance you will be buying two MS250 where the 261 will still be running if you take care of it properly. You are paying $200.00 more now for the Pro saw, it is hard to know what a second saw in the 250 class will cost ten to twelve years down the road. I have pro class Stihls that are over thirty years old and still going strong, some of these saws are used daily in hardwood which proves thier longivity if taken care of properly.

Safe cutting all

A 261 will lead to a 362, then it will lead to a 461. Now your an addict and can't put down the saw

This is the truth. I have a MS250 which handles about 90% of my cutting needs. Ended getting a MS361 for the bigger stuff and just recently purchased a 046 to fix up. Didn't need it, but wanted a project saw.

To the OP, the MS250 will prob handle everything you need to do. Yes the 261 is a better saw, but if you take care of your equipment, the 250 will be fine and keep your money in your pocket. However, if you hang around here long enough, you'll want a bigger saw.

Back