MS250 start compression relief stopped working

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One solution might be to put it on the tailgate of your truck and take a nice, fast drive down a country road. BTW, I have two of them and they both do the same thing, difficult to pull.
Same here and mine are almost new. Mine does lots of setting on the shelf because I have other saws. I just dread reaching for the 250. Stihl missed it on this one. (I've accepted the fact and it no longer bothers me. I know I have a backup saw if I want to get a workout pulling the rope. (not yanking and jerking the rope)

Same here and mine are almost new. Mine does lots of setting on the shelf because I have other saws. I just dread reaching for the 250. Stihl missed it on this one. (I've accepted the fact and it no longer bothers me. I know I have a backup saw if I want to get a workout pulling the rope. (not yanking and jerking the rope)
I got another one to fix, owner says for me to get it to start. Heck, I can't even get my own to start. I have one that's been completely rebuilt and I've yet to even put fuel in it! Like you, I have other saws so this one of mine won't be used.

Again, all in how you do it. When you start 110s of them a year, you figure out how to keep your fingers intact.
Fix the issues (no shut off, flooding) and it is a great saw for the price.
Most people bought them because they did not want to pay the price of an 026/260.
Most of the ones we sold are still running. Like any saw, sitting is worse than running .

Again, all in how you do it. When you start 110s of them a year, you figure out how to keep your fingers intact.
Fix the issues (no shut off, flooding) and it is a great saw for the price.
Most people bought them because they did not want to pay the price of an 026/260.
Most of the ones we sold are still running. Like any saw, sitting is worse than running .
I have one here I'd bet you couldn't pull, it's like it's welded together inside. I guess I'll have to tear this one down, it absolutely won't budge.

All of you that hate your ms250's I'll gladly takem, just boxem up and send me the weight and box dimensions and i'll send you a printable shipping label :) I love those little saws with a 14-16" bar
Got too much money in mine now to give it away. I'm hoping someone will come up with a redesigned starter with a bigger pulley so these saws will be a bit more user friendly.
I worked on another one just today...owner having trouble getting it started.

I don't ever recall having or using an 025 that hurt or was difficult to start. Seems I came across an 250 or 2 that pulled unusually hard. About the same with MS 280's. I worked with and on several of all those.
Have been using frequently an ms 250 i took in a trade last year. Pulls easy. If my gauge hasn't changed accuracy over the years, this 250 only has about 135 lbs of compression. Surprisingly runs and cuts well. Cold starts usually 3 or 4 pulls to fire , then 1 or 2 to run. Aiming to open up the muffler soon and add a little more power. Went to 28 to 1 mix since compression was low. Most my older saws or well used that is what i use. Most the newer and my 4 mix i use 50 to 1. Leaner oil mixture might work better in those hard to pull, with a clean air filter and fine tuned carb. Maybe even try Opti mix or Amsoil with their reccomending ratio.
Might try seafoam for removing carbon without disassembling also.
Learned myself from this thread and it's given me more ideas. Haven't spent a lot of time addressing the hard pull issue myself. My right shoulder has had issues many years and i intend on addressing hard pull issues more aggressively in the future. Doesn't feel good when putting your all in the pull and it kicks back on a lame shoulder.

I started to take a customer's MS250 apart then I found out why it was hard to turn over. I turned it on it's side and fuel came pouring out the sparkplug hole and the intake where I'd removed the carburetor. The engine was completely full of fuel mix! The fuel tank was empty so I'm letting it sit over night upside down to completely drain it.

Latest posts

Back