Ms260 bogging down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cam76034

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 260 off CL from a guy who said it would die on you if you didn't keep revving it up. Tried it out on some test wood and it cut fine. :confused: It wasn't till I got it home that it started to act up as he had described.

It starts up easy on 2nd pull and has power as long as I keep the rpm's high enough, but if I let off the throttle it gets below a certain rpm and then bogs down. It always starts right back up again, but obviously I'd like to fix the problem.

So far all I've done is clean the air filter and reset the carb at 1 turn out (it was at 2). Oh yeah, got the L/LA carb.

So gentlemen, what would be your next step to troubleshoot this?

Pull the carb and go through it, and inspect the fuel and impulse lines, most
of the time that will locate the problem.

On your carb can you adjust the hi and the low jets. I posted a thread with the same thing under 260 pro issues you might want to check that out there maybe more things there for you to look at

varmit

Sounds like an Impulse hose to me, check that and then probably just best to replace the fixed jet carb with a WT194 or WT426. :cheers:

I can't seem to find the impulse line or the gas tank vent on this thing. I see where possibly an impulse line might have been located...Can anyone steer me towards a link or pic that shows it?

Thanks

-Check fuel and impulse hoses for cracks, replace as needed
-Clean and rebuild carb, check the plastic elbow the fuel line slips over,
if it moves at all you'll have to replace the carb. Retail on the carb is about 70$

Does this sound like a defective tank vent?

Started to pull the carb out and as soon as the fuel line came off, fuel game shooting out as if it was pressurized. The fuel tank is the little black plug with the holes, right? Does that just pry out and do you clean it or just replace?

Also, I hate to ask, but how do I get that dadgum throttle unhooked from the carb? I've rebuilt a few small engine carbs but this is my first Stihl and I'm stuck as to how to twist that thing out of there.

unscrew the screw holding the black plastic part of the rear handle off and you'll be able to disconnect the throttle linkage that way.

Got the carb off and cleaned it up inside. When you say check the impulse line, just what exactly do you do to check it? Do you take it all the way down to where you can pull it and replace? I sprayed carb cleaner down in it and it came back with a lot of nasty crud, but if I need to tear it apart to closely inspect the line, I'd probably just go ahead and replace it.

Latest posts

Back