MS260 EBay deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwmo_aggie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe a little strange for a first post...but I swear I'm not the seller. Quite the opposite really. Anyway, I've been lurking here for some time now reading up on saws, and have decided to look for a saw from the 026-MS260-MS261 family. We have a good supply of dealers around, and they seem like pretty good saws.

I see this deal on eBay, looks like he's sold several of these packages. Seems a bit odd to be able to find that many saws that needed a full rebuild like that. Has anyone on here ever bought one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131157325378

Seem like they're bringing good money, but come with a lot of extras...several I don't need.

One of the local dealers had a slick used 026 for $250 that I looked at today, but seemed a bit steep for a saw of uh at age, though it was very clean with a good 18" bar and chain.

Also should have added I'm still somewhat debating these Stihl saws vs a 346 husq or the Echo 450p or 500p, so any input on that comparison would be helpful also.

It's up to $465 already. Nuts. Go buy a brand new 261 for not that much more. Then choose bar/chain that's right for you. Instead of him choosing for you. He's got a 20" bar with 3/8 .063 full skip chain. Too much load for that saw. And it's a slightly oddball chain size.

If your local guy has a great 026 for $250, go buy it. Price aint no deal, but not a ripoff either. And he'll probably stand behind it.

Its $480 plus $50 shipping now... Lotta new and/or replacement parts on that saw, meaning it has some serious hours on it. As Mike says, get a new 261 for not a lot more, or a 241 for $550. Extra bars and chains are nice, but you can only use one set at a time. 18 inch bar is the sweet spot for those saws for me. Skip chain on a 20 inch bar is kind of a joke on a saw that small. It will pull it easy enough, but... odd. I avoid Ebay for saws, after getting burned on several there. CL and local buys you can run the saw before you plunk your money down on it.

The 026 is the same basic saw as a 260. As long as it has an adjustable carb, I would opt for that instead. A well cared for 20 year old 026 will run as good or better than a rebuilt 260 with a lot of hours on it. The older they are, actually the better the carbs and mufflers on the 026 line. Just make sure the crank seals are good, or replace them. Easy to do. I also like the old screw in gas and oil caps. The flippy caps tend to break over time. A clear gas tank has an advantage, but the 026/260 line seems to vary as to having clear or solid tanks. The 026/260 pro models have a decomp and adj. oil pump, neither of which are really needed on these saws. Offer him $225 and see if he takes it.

image.jpg I got this one for $175 about a week ago. I haven't had time to get better pics, but this saw is in very good condition with very little use.

$480 + shipping is a lot of money, definitely better off with a new 261 for $100 more

The US version of the MS260 is not an attractive saw at all, as it is seriously "strangled" for EPA reasons. An 026 or a German made 260 is a better option, but still not in the top league among 50cc saws - Husky "owns" that class by a substantial margin!

The only category husqy "owns" is for flimsy saws! :D The MS 260 PRO is a great saw, I'll probably never get rid of mine, and I do have a new MS 261 C-M that is nicer.

On pricing, only you can determine what a saw is worth to you. I've sold an 024 and a MS 260 PRO for $200 and $300, but then paid $450 for NOS MS 260 PRO. I put the NOS saw in wood, so it's not worth as much any more, but I stihl really like the saw.

Yeah I'm doing the math. The eBay deal is getting right up there with a MS261 new BUT, the new saw I'm going to drop $700 by the time I buy it for 600, then they have a deal on a spare bar, chain, and case for $30, and pay the tax...and I end up with 2 chains to work from, vs the package, I might not have to buy a chain, or could trade some for what I really needed.

Also, and I asked the dealer this yesterday...an 026 is what, 15 years old...with the electronic stuff that goes with that fuel management deal on he he 261, will it still be going in 15 years? Is there anything on one beyond the chain that a shadetree can work on? What's the feeling from those that have had them for a while now?

I'm really leaning more towards a good 260.

I wouldn't go near that ebay deal. Way too much $$$. The 026 for $250 at the dealer is worth considering. A Husky 346xp will cut faster. FWIW, I got a 261 on CL for $300.

My MS260 Pro is a strong-running, well-built, trouble-free tool, albeit not nearly as fast as a 346xp. Lighter than the MS261.

I just looked at the eBay deal. It's pretty sweet, if you want $300 worth of extra blades. :D

Yeah I'm doing the math. The eBay deal is getting right up there with a MS261 new BUT, the new saw I'm going to drop $700 by the time I buy it for 600, then they have a deal on a spare bar, chain, and case for $30, and pay the tax...and I end up with 2 chains to work from, vs the package, I might not have to buy a chain, or could trade some for what I really needed.

Also, and I asked the dealer this yesterday...an 026 is what, 15 years old...with the electronic stuff that goes with that fuel management deal on he he 261, will it still be going in 15 years? Is there anything on one beyond the chain that a shadetree can work on? What's the feeling from those that have had them for a while now?

I'm really leaning more towards a good 260.

An 026 could be anything between about 13 and 30 years old, but it still is a better saw than the US version of the MS260.

An 026 could be anything between about 13 and 30 years old, but it still is a better saw than the US version of the MS260.

Is there any sort of S/N list that one could look up to figure out how old a saw might be? How would one tell? Or if it looks and runs good, but it regardless of age...

Is there any sort of S/N list that one could look up to figure out how old a saw might be? How would one tell? Or if it looks and runs good, but it regardless of age...

You can have a Stihl dealer run the serial number, and he may be ably to tell where and when it first was sold. When and where it was made is another question, that they can't answer - except that German made ones have numbers that start with 1, US made ones start with 2, and so on....

Age won't tell you usage. That's the most important part.

I wouldn't go near that ebay deal. Way too much $$$. The 026 for $250 at the dealer is worth considering. A Husky 346xp will cut faster. FWIW, I got a 261 on CL for $300.

My MS260 Pro is a strong-running, well-built, trouble-free tool, albeit not nearly as fast as a 346xp. Lighter than the MS261.

Now I see where the skepticism comes in. The seller has three MS 260 PRO packages listed. All with exactly the same description...

I've had an 026 since 94 or 95 - bought it new. Then got another from my father a few years back. While they are solid little saws, the air filter sure collects it's share of chips & sawdust. I much prefer the husky 346xp or the 261 to an 026 or 260. Very little maintenance required on the air filter and they are good solid saws too. The only reason I hang onto the 026's is because one was my first saw and the other was my father's; I never run them, and have been thinking of selling them lately.

Regarding age of the saw - condition is where it's really at for me. Once you get past 10 years old, it doesn't matter much in my opinion as long as parts are still available. In other words, I'd rather have a 20 year old saw in good shape, probably a homeowner saw that got used a couple times a year versus a 2 year old saw used commercially.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm not even sure it's worth that, lol.

Waylan

Back