ms260 oiling too much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufrain

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got an ms260.I was cleaning all the junk out of it today.If I let it Idle for 30 seconds or so then rev it up it slings oil off the chain that you can see easily,its alot .The clutch cover is full of oil to.Is there an oring or gasket I need to replace ,this one Is a plain ms 260 so I dont think it has an adjustable oiler.What do you guys think.thanx

Quite normal. The 260 is not adjustable and pumps oil when the engine runs. The 260-pro is adjustable and only pumps when the chain moves.

oil

This saw pumps all the time. Also, when running and not cutting wood, nothing soaks up the oil. As long as it uses about 1/2 to a full tank to a tank of fuel, you are normal.

Lakeside53 said:
Quite normal. The 260 is not adjustable and pumps oil when the engine runs. The 260-pro is adjustable and only pumps when the chain moves.

THAT explains the puddles and oil slinging my 260 does. If I had known the above, I would have sprung for the pro. I thought it was just me being used to manual oilers.

THAT explains the puddles and oil slinging my 260 does. If I had known the above, I would have sprung for the pro. I thought it was just me being used to manual oilers.
Some people say the pro model doesnt oil enough so maybe your lucky in that you bought the non pro.
My 260 has always oiled adequatley.

bwalker said:
Some people say the pro model doesn't oil enough so maybe your lucky in that you bought the non pro.

I don't have the data in front of me, but I believe the adjustable pump puts out the same delivery rate when turned up full...

Mine works fine, but like most I just leave it one max. It is nice not to have puddles though.

kkesler said:

If you want it bad, I can sell you all the parts (brand new) to convert your's to a pro pump for a quite reasonable amount... (not the $96 Stihl wants). New pump, drum, worm drive, sleeve and some small parts. Would take you about 30 minutes. PM me if interested.

bwalker said:
Some people say the pro model doesnt oil enough so maybe your lucky in that you bought the non pro.

It's the part about not oiling when the chain isn't moving that sounds good to me. I will make a cut, then set the saw down and move wood around while the saw idles, then make another cut. Saw may only be idling for 20 seconds or so at a time, but it adds up to a bunch of oil that gets pumped out over a day.

I have watched people who tend to set the saw down and leave it running while doing other stuff, then go back and pick the saw up. Believe me, it's a lot longer than 20 seconds. It is also a very bad habit to get into and a difficult one to break. I strive to NEVER walk away from a running saw, even for 10 seconds. It's too easy to restart with a quick half pull on the handle. Your technique is what creates the problem.

Skwerl, I both agree and disagree with you.
While it's not safe to just leave the saw idling on the ground, it may be the only chance the saw has to cool down. It all depends on the the actual amount of work you do with the saw.
Just my .02

I am bucking 6 ft. long sections of wood from a stack into firewood length. I pick up a section, put it in the bucking horse and make my cuts. Then set the saw down, pick up another log and put it in the horse. Every few logs I toss the cut pieces over into another pile. I am not out going for a smoke break or checking my email while the saw idles, nor am I ever more than 5 feet away from it. 20 seconds was a guess, but I doubt it's even that long.

Man this thing puts out about 10 times as much as the ms 210 i was cleaning up yesterday and way more than my 660 by alot.Does the 260 model just put out way way more oil than other models.Any other saw i have or have had isnt even close.I have an old 009 that is leaking bad and it doesnt put out as much as this thing.All these saws are cleaned up and the bar slots and holes clean and all under the clutch cover is clean.I dont use these in the winter,I only use them for hurricane cleanup,so they are all cleaned up for next summer.I plan to get a wood stove though.

dufrain said:
Man this thing puts out about 10 times as much as the ms 210 i was cleaning up yesterday and way more than my 660 by alot.Does the 260 model just put out way way more oil than other models.Any other saw i have or have had isnt even close.I have an old 009 that is leaking bad and it doesnt put out as much as this thing.All these saws are cleaned up and the bar slots and holes clean and all under the clutch cover is clean.I dont use these in the winter,I only use them for hurricane cleanup,so they are all cleaned up for next summer.I plan to get a wood stove though.

The only way to really gauge it is as Stihltech said earlier "As long as it uses about 1/2 to a full tank [of oil] to a tank of fuel, you are normal".

The design of the oil pump doesn't allow it to be "abnormally high". It's just a notch in a rotating shaft that grabs a precise amount of oil each rotation. Now, if it's not seated correctly in the gasket/intake tube, and is leaking, that's another problem. I assume you're using "ordinary" bar oil and not some light weight winter oil?

I will check this pump out to see if its leaking,I wont be using a half tank of fuel anytime soon to gauge it.Its got whatever oil that came in it <i havent added any,it looks like the sticky bar and chain stuff though,its not thin.Thanx for all your replies guys.

dufrain said:
I will check this pump out to see if its leaking,I wont be using a half tank of fuel anytime soon to gauge it.Its got whatever oil that came in it <i havent added any,it looks like the sticky bar and chain stuff though,its not thin.Thanx for all your replies guys.

Other way around - If you use a full tank of gas you should use 1/2 to a full tank of oil.

Back