MS260 Pro problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtbuck12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has had this problem. I bought an MS260 Pro in April, and felt like it was under powered compared to my Shindaiwa 488. Because of that, I didn't use it much. Recently I had problems with one of my 488's and pulled out the 260 pro. It ran about 15 min and quit, so I brought it back to the dealer I bought it from. The saw still has the original chain on it and has not burned two tanks of fuel, but he tells me the saw is burnt due to over reving. I've been running Shindawia saws for years and have never had one burn up from "over reving". Any comments would be appreciated.

if they did a proper setup that would have included an RPM check before they sent it out the door. making sure those saws are in spec is our job as Stihl dealers and mechanics before it gets out. as long as your chain is good, you are using good mix and fuel thats not more than 60-90 days old (ethanol is horrid crap) prem grade (91oct) sounds like a possible defect. might want a second dealer to check it out. have had complaints on 1 stihl dealer in your state

Thanks for the reply. My fuel is mixed fresh every day, and I use the same fuel in all my saws. No problems with any other saw, so I don't think fuel was the problem. The piston and rings are scored on the exhaust side if that tells you anything. The chain is original Stihl and still very sharp, as I said it didn't cut much wood.

I scored a piston once because the muffler was loose. It made a horrible racket when I ran it though. If it happens again, I know enough to tighten it back up, but this was when I was a rookie with chain saws. It happened on an old Husky 261. I mention this because I am wondering if you have a bad gasket on the muffler. This would cause the engine to overheat, hence the reason for the scoring on the muffler side.

Sounds like a one in a thousand. In my opinion the 260 pro is one of the best saws Stihl has ever made. It is small but I have cut so much wood with it I've lost track. Check anything that could have happened, loose, broken ETC.;)

Latest posts

Back