MS260 Rebuild question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions for the experts.

After acid etching and sanding there are still a few small areas of grey, should I keep acid etching until all of the cylinder is the same?

Instead of doing a vac test/pressure test, why not just replace the seals?

Are the aftermarket seals/ gaskets the same quality of OEM?

Should I do a vac/pressure check after replacing seals?

Can the flywheel and clutch be removed after the piston is removed?

Thanks a bunch

Couple of questions for the experts.

After acid etching and sanding there are still a few small areas of grey, should I keep acid etching until all of the cylinder is the same?

If it aluminum or you can feel it with a fingernail yes, but still may different color.

Instead of doing a vac test/pressure test, why not just replace the seals?

Good idea

Are the aftermarket seals/ gaskets the same quality of OEM?

Don't cheap out on a $15 complete gasket/seal set from stihl

Should I do a vac/pressure check after replacing seals?

Yes, will tell if the seals are seated or you have leaks someplace else (impulse, intake boot, case/base gasket....)

Can the flywheel and clutch be removed after the piston is removed?

maybe but it won't be fun or easy. Take these off before you remove the cylinder.

Thanks a bunch

See above

Thanks professor

Thats exactly the feedback I was looking for.

The acid cleaning went better than i expected, just happened to find some muratic on the shelf at my shop, used plenty of water, took it slow and tried to keep it in one area at a time.

I will take a look at it one more time and may dabble some more on the dark areas to see if I get any smoke.

I have a dealer 1 mile down the road who is just a PIA to deal with, just told me he does not stock them did not know the price of the gasket set but would have to have me come in pay for them in advance and pay 12.95 each for for shipping.

I have another guy that I use but he is 20 miles away, but at least he is good to deal with.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back