ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't take away my 260 pro.......

aboyand%20dog.jpg

Mine's not stock, but I just picked up another .325 bar for it so that I can make my own comparison. I'll be comparing a 16", 3/8, 7-pin with a 16", .325, 8-pin. Both will be wearing RS or RSC chain.

My MS260 (project saw) came with a nearly brand new .325 16" bar. Modded the muffler, switched to an 8 tooth sprocket, and it's a totally different saw. I cannot believe how fast it cuts. I would like to try the 3/8" set up, but I'll just wait until I wear out the .325 set up and make the switch then.

I've had 3/8 7-pin on mine and just switched to .325 8-pin. I plan on doing some timed cuts. I'm also interested in smoothness and ease of use in a limbing scenario. I don't often use mine for a bucking saw.

OK, I gotta pipe in here. All this nonsense about whether a certain saw can "pull" a certain size bar/chain gets a little too goofy. What are you guys cutting? Railroad ties? Boulders? A 260 will pull a 20" bar just fine. As fast as a 16" bar? No, but it will "pull" all day long. Sometimes there are things on this site that get repeated so much they become gospel...but they just aren't exactly true. To me, this is one of them.

You do NOT need a 60cc saw to "pull" a 20" bar. You just need a few extra seconds in each cut. OK, I'm done. Give me a paper bag so I can quit hyperventilating.

OK, I gotta pipe in here. All this nonsense about whether a certain saw can "pull" a certain size bar/chain gets a little too goofy. What are you guys cutting? Railroad ties? Boulders? A 260 will pull a 20" bar just fine. As fast as a 16" bar? No, but it will "pull" all day long. Sometimes there are things on this site that get repeated so much they become gospel...but they just aren't exactly true. To me, this is one of them.

You do NOT need a 60cc saw to "pull" a 20" bar. You just need a few extra seconds in each cut. OK, I'm done. Give me a paper bag so I can quit hyperventilating.

I agree. But what I think most of us forget when giving advice, is the fact that most of us own multiple saws. I, myself, would never conside putting a 20" bar on my MS260. That is why I have the 357XP. But for those people who have only one saw and need various lengths, it is acceptable as long as they don't over stress on the power head.

I actually agree, but I don't want to stretch everything to the limit.

Last edited:

Yep I agree. Got 18" bars and chisel chain on my 026 and modded 026 pro. Works great, if I need more I pull out a bigger stihl..:cheers:

Here's my bunch of small/mid-range saws, I use them in the forests down here, the 335 with 12", a pruning saw, light grunty & reliable and easy to flick around. Next the 23 with 14", general light duty saw, good for attacking larger branches from the ground and fine for dropping skinny trees. Light weight it's best feature. Then the 36 with 18", strong classy commercial grade engine, great thinning saw on 12" - 16" diameter trees, the 18" bar best for balance & performance. The smooth 2165, 65cc of grunt, here with a 28" in this pic, but only for bragging rights, I prefer an 18" on it, again for lightness and balance. With extra muffler holes that 365 motor kicks out some awesome response and acceleration. All saws here with opened mufflers except the 23, which I've kept muffled and relatively tame. If wanting more kick with similar weight, the 26 is a good choice too, but the 36 still covers the 50cc niche nicely if needed

hssh.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back