MS261C-M, clicking noise by clutch drum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickH163

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I have a 261C-M that is about a month old...it has around 10 hours on it right now. I've been cleaning it after every use and touching up the chains between tanks, etc. I noticed a 'clicking' sound as I pulled the chain forward to file it. I pulled the bar and chain off and can feel a light skip/bind/jump of some sort when manually turning the sprocket/drum with a simulated load, using my hand (keeping light forward pressure on the sprocket towards the front of the saw). I took the drum, needle bearing off and made sure everything was lubricated and clean and it all looked good. I'm not really sure where this noise is coming from...any ideas?

I don't notice this clicking noise in my other saws, and know that the area is loose on all Stihls. It is quite loud and able to be slightly felt through the chain when pulling the chain by hand. I don't notice it when the saw is running.

Thanks for any help!

It doesn't look very worn at all, in my limited experience. I'll snap a photo in the morning.

The rim sprocket looks good and it seems to be the part causing the noise...I'm not able to reproduce the noise by hand by just turning the clutch drum...I was worried it might be something else. Thanks for the help- I won't worry about it anymore!

Does your sprocket match the pitch of the chain?

Latest posts

Back