Ms270, Whats it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is a new stihl MS 270 worth? I believe it has a 20 inch bar on it...

Thanks alot!

$459.95 + tax ..... and depends on what county you live in.........Ongandaga is 8%

stihl_cal_1.jpg

Last edited:
What is a new stihl MS 270 worth? I believe it has a 20 inch bar on it...

Thanks alot!

Trying to do a little research on the value of a MS270 farm boss 20" bar - used. Found your thread so I'm going to high jack a little bit. But still relevant I believe.

There is a local Stihl MS 270 farm boss in which the owner says he's had for 7 years. He says there are only a couple hours on the saw and they've downshized to a small house. Therefore, no need for the 270 anymore. He is selling it with the case, as well.

The saw looks brand new. It is sparkling clean. Bar looks nearly new. He shared 8 pics of the saw and it does look almost brand new.

He is asking $400 for this saw and I'd like to get your comments on the price. Supposedly extremely low hours (as in 2-3) and it comes with the hard case. Says it starts right up and has no issues. What is a good used price? Or a range?

Thanks for any/all feedback.

Please keep it in perspective. You are asking this question on an enthusiast website. You aren't going to find many here who will tell you that saw is worth even half of that much. Chainsaws in general do not get much use. The difference between the two hours this saw has been used and the pro saw that the guy down the street bought and put 20 hours on but let it get dirty and ugly really isn't that different at the end of the day.

in some worlds chainsaws get a lot of use, especially as they get to 60cc and larger

and I agree, aesthetically very clean means nothing. Mechanically clean means everything

that could be a good saw, but a better saw can be had for the same money, or an equal saw for less money. Or even a better saw for less money. All used, of course.

New, like actually brand new is a different situation.

imo

Please keep it in perspective. You are asking this question on an enthusiast website. You aren't going to find many here who will tell you that saw is worth even half of that much. Chainsaws in general do not get much use. The difference between the two hours this saw has been used and the pro saw that the guy down the street bought and put 20 hours on but let it get dirty and ugly really isn't that different at the end of the day.

Ok, fine. Reasonable comments. So you're suggesting that the saw, as I described it, would be attractive around $200 if you were in the market? Would that be accurate?

As I corresponding with the seller today, it does appear that this saw has not been used/abused over the years. I know that is just my gut-hunch on the matter, but that is my belief.

So, if it truly hasn't been used that much at all, would the value be near $300? $350?

Or would you still say $200?

Thanks for your feedback.

in some worlds chainsaws get a lot of use, especially as they get to 60cc and larger

and I agree, aesthetically very clean means nothing. Mechanically clean means everything

Yep, I know what you're saying. Without tearing the machine apart I guess I simply won't know, right?

I will fire it up and told the owner I wanted to cut a little wood, too. Besides that, I will do my best to examine the saw.

Not sure that $400 is the right number, though, based on researching pricing this evening.

Thanks.

any saw freak on here would think that the price is high

Here you go; in the last couple of years; CAD (reduce by 30% to USD)

New Echo CS590 $400
New Dolmar 5105 $400
Used, clean Jonsered 2152 $179.00

They are all more saw than the Stihl270, by quite a bit.

any saw freak on here would think that the price is high

Here you go; in the last couple of years; CAD (reduce by 30% to USD)

New Echo CS590 $400
New Dolmar 5105 $400
Used, clean Jonsered 2152 $179.00

They are all more saw than the Stihl270, by quite a bit.

thank you.

No one's tried to talk him into a new Echo 490 or 590 yet? WTF?

Didn't MS270 go for 379 when they did their annual sale event? Or was it msrp and ya get the case and goodies?

I have an MS270 and have ran it since new in 2006. Great little saw. The 20" bar is pushing the limits. It's not a $400 saw. If it starts and runs well, $200 or so would be a good offer imho. Used is used and saws don't keep their values like Rolex watches.

Worst saw I have ever seen . There is nothing I like about it. I have had two new CDI boxes on it and magneto still no spark. I may take the splitting mall to it just so there will be more room on my shelves. Thanks

Ouch! That isn't what ya would expect to hear about the saw that replaced the legendary 028. They look sexy.

I only ran 1 and it was fresh out of the box and we were doing storm cleanup. It was all softer woods mainly boxelder and cherry. Other then feeling a little fat and not broke in it checked all the boxes for a really solid homeowner saw.

That was the day my PP335 gave out. The MS270 felt fast in comparison though not a lot on the bottom. But it was nearly 30 years newer so the bar was pretty low.

Boss offered it to me for $300 to replace the PP. It was tempting but I went with a used 359 Husky which was never regretted.

I appreciate all of the info/responses. Looks like a reasonable range would be $200-300 for a lightly used MS270?

Again, thanks everyone.

Back