MS290 Ground wire location

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Reaction score
I've read many posts here and it seems to be the place to ask my question. Though it seems that the 290 is not the favorite saw on this forum.

I bought a MS290 parts saw and am completing reassembly with used but good parts I've scrounged up.

I have a question about the ground wire locations. I figured the two coil wires piggy-backed together on a ring terminal go to the base of the cylinder. I see one end goes to the switch. Does the other ring terminal go to one of the coil frame holes? And where does the loose ring terminal ended wire go? Carbuerator? It soesn't seem like it reaches from the cylinder ground bolt to the carb mounting bolt.

And the gas tank vent hose looks like it was connected to a hose barb on both ends. Where does this vent line connect to?

Thanks for the help?

Dude said:
I've read many posts here and it seems to be the place to ask my question. Though it seems that the 290 is not the favorite saw on this forum.

Don't sweat it. The 029/290 is a fine saw in it's intended role. Falling heavy timber.....no. Firewood, light clearing, running well.....ideal.

I can't speak with certainty on the ground....so I won't. Wait for Andy (Lakeside53) to get on here, and he'll help ya out.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Thanks for the welcome!

I live in St Pete, FL and have managed to limb all trees here w/ an echo 300 and a 034. The 290 I'm rebuilding will be a backup/loaner.

I do this work on the weekends, but if a hurricane comes I'll be getting 440 and a 361.

The vent hose conects to a nipple on the crankcase. The wiring may seem a bit odd on the 029 - two of the grounding wires are simply in parallel.. and go to/from the same locations (coil mount to cylinder base screw).

Andy,

Thanks much for the info on the wires. Will do. Ya, that is odd.

I see the hose nipple on the crankcase. If this is where the fuel tank vent hose connects to, then where does the flex impulse hose from the carb connect? The hose that I am calling the tank vent hose is a solid small diameter stiff hose.

Thanks again.

Dude said:
Andy,

Thanks much for the info on the wires. Will do. Ya, that is odd.

I see the hose nipple on the crankcase. If this is where the fuel tank vent hose connects to, then where does the flex impulse hose from the carb connect? The hose that I am calling the tank vent hose is a solid small diameter stiff hose.

Thanks again.

Just finished up a 039. The hose nipple on the crankcase is for the carb impulse line. The tank vent attaches to the tank and stands up bent towards the front of the saw in the air box area. The loose end does not fit onto anything but rests into place. There should be a little tiny set screw in it about an 1/4" from the top of the hose. It should not be brittle or very hard. It should not leak gas.

The wire attachment ground point is behind the flywheel. One brass terminal on crankcase mount screw and one on the the top coil mount screw. Make sure to run the wires in the slots provided for them and to check for rubbing.

Hope that helps and did not step on any toes. I am excited because I just added an 039 and a 031 to the Stihl collection.:biggrinbounce2: Did not get to run them hard yet because some people need to sleep and the sound of chainsaws disturbs them.:monkey: Good luck.

Ha! I misread your post!!! I thought we were talking about the impulse line - the barbs at both ends part... Oh wel!!! That will teach me to reply on Satiurday night afer a few!

Good catch Justsaws!

Latest posts

Back